Daylight savings 2022

It’s 2 days away here in the US. Want to grumble about it or laud it?
I have some opinions, but wanted to first open the floor…

13 Likes

CA voted to do away with it years ago, only to be told “SIKE!” after the measure passed.

20 Likes

This is one of my few true deep grudges in life. Why we (in general) keep this counterproductive charade up is truly maddening.

10 Likes

I don’t mind falling back, maybe we could just do that instead.

8 Likes

Daylight savings time changes the time difference between where I live now and where I grew up from 15 hours to 14 hours, which is nice because people are more likely to have gotten up in the morning when I am going to bed.

2 Likes

My only concern is if I go forward in time now and do something to change the course of history, when I go back in time in the fall I might not recognize the world I once knew.

8 Likes

We don’t have it here, but look forward to Europe changing so seminars that meet in the morning there will end before midnight here.

1 Like

AustraliaTimeZones

20 Likes

Just keep it on DST

2 Likes

This was a fun story from a while back. Indiana’s dabbling with DST. Check out that map!

6 Likes

And here I was, blissfully unaware. It always messes up my sleep schedule horribly. I hate it and it serves no purpose

5 Likes

3790061676fb2e6b38ec44e8def2fa65

22 Likes

Former early-90s Hoosier here: it makes sense if you consider where Chicago and Lousiville and Cincinnati are in relation to those shaded counties. Basically those that homed commuters moved to DST, while the rest of us did not.

TV was mildly inconvenient in those VCR days. And honestly, that was about it. The gradual slide into and out of darkness never seemed as awful or abrupt as the sudden shift does – either way. I hate being groggy for two weeks every year. As was pointed out upthread, we Californians have voted this silliness down already, but alas, poltical inertia and Big Time clearly hold sway over sleep and common sense.

6 Likes

The only positive thing i see in the time change is that it gives sleep scientists two huge sample groups every year to study the effects of adding or subtracting an hour of sleep. But what they learn makes me think it’s not worth it!

Adjusting the time by one hour may not seem like too drastic a change, but sleep experts have noted troubling trends that occur during the transition between Standard Time and DST, particularly in March. These issues include upticks in heart problems, mood disorders, and motor vehicle collisions. Furthermore, DST can cause sleep problems if circadian rhythms are not aligned with natural cycles of light and darkness. Some people also experience insomnia symptoms due to spring time changes3.

11 Likes

Okay, I think the day we “spring forward” should officially be declared a “pajamas” day. Is anyone else just totally foggy? I woke up at the regular time but still 5 hours later don’t feel like I’ve quite “woken up” yet.

10 Likes

I woke up feeling good thinking I had caught up on missing sleep. But an hour of it was just a lie!! Then I was grumpy.

Grumble grumble.

9 Likes

I’m doing well. I was tired and went to bed early. Today I woke up pretty early, but still got more sleep than I usually do :woman_shrugging:t2:

I think the effect of the days getting longer now outweighs anything else for me, in terms of whether I feel energetic or not…

Went grocery shopping this morning shortly after the store opened (as I often do), and there were definitely fewer people there than usual for that time!

3 Likes

Yesterday, @CanadianBeaver joys seemed here to stay
It’ll be a joy-fest if @CanadianBeaver gets his way
Oh, @CanadianBeaver believes in yesterday

6 Likes

Even though this has the stench of Lil’ Marco on it, I’d take it. Sen. Whitehouse sponsoring bill to make Daylight Saving Time permanent

3 Likes

You know what they say: even a broken clock is right twice on one freakish day in March :wink:

5 Likes