American airbase personnel sent erroneous "Missile inbound -- seek shelter" warning

I left active service a while ago, too, and I still have the weird itch to stand for the American Anthem being played before the movie, as it was in the on-base theaters. The order was something like a few PSAs, a few previews, the Anthem, and then the movie. I’m a little annoyed that it was drilled into my head to that degree, too. Patriots gotta patriot, I guess.

5 Likes

Ditto all of that !

“Drilled”, brainwashed, instilled; I’m 99% thankful for it.

When I was in boot camp after H.S., it was a cakewalk: By the second day, I could pick out the other ‘military brats’ . .three of us are still friends decades later.

5 Likes

You there for any of the fun stuff like sending SR-71s out to chase UFOs? Not that you’d be able to answer, ha!

Swindon, on the other hand…

5 Likes

As a developer, I have had days like this myself. One major issue is working on test data derived from real world data with actual public emails in it, etc. But the warning only went out to their own people, who should have procedures for dealing with such messages. So it can be called a more realistic than normal drill.

At least the system works end to end.

1 Like

this is soooo alien. the anthem here has - I think - a role before international soccer games. as watching paint dry is more interesting I am more or less never in contact with this rather boring song.

2 Likes

Agreed - the new-old saw holds true:

Everyone has a test server, some people are just lucky enough to have a separate production one, too.

3 Likes

I was in a small room without windows. That’s about all I usually say about it! Although I will say my first duty station was at the now decommissioned RAF Mildenhall … which actually was one of the homes of the SR-71s. Those were particularly cool to see take off!

4 Likes

I still kinda twitch oddly when I hear Up In the Air Junior Birdmen The U.S. Air Force song (aka “the Wild Blue Yonder”), possibly as a result of having to (badly) sing it at 05:30 or so every morning during boot camp. That weird itch to stand before movies may still be there, but the forced patriotism sure left me with a sour taste for such things.

1 Like

Oh, I’m sure there’s absolutely no reason for alarm. The system’s totally secure!

4 Likes

Yo,

P.S. If you stump for Trump, check yer epistemology: entropy or not? You own yer trappings, human. Do you want to own this trainwreck? If so, the only end time is yours…humanity will prevail sans hate. shield

How long does it take a fire alarm to cause panic? (when people smell smoke or see flames) How about a car alarm? (when people hear squealing tires or gunshots)

“If you’re looking at your desktop, it’s got a little icon in the bottom right,” McGarry said of the system notification. “It will open up with a message with stuff you need to know.”
[…]
There were no sirens or other force protection changes in the interim

Doesn’t really sound like a panic-inducing alarm. “The printer’s paper tray is low, refill your printer’s paper tray. A missile is inbound, seek shelter. Updated definitions are available for Windows Defender, click here to install the updates.”

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.