American student arrested for Arabic flash cards in airport after TSA freaked out settles lawsuit

If you already spoke Arabic, you wouldn’t need the flash cards.

Even low-level language classes often include material that is considered topical for all sorts of reasons. My third semester of Mandarin in college had units on the cultural revolution and the one child policy, so I learned words like “abortion” and “birth control” and phrases like “People’s Liberation Army” but in 3 years I never learned the words for “spoon” and “towel.” Maybe they were doing a unit on some war or other history.

1 Like

Nothing new there. It wasn’t even new with 9/11. Iranian hostage crisis, hijacking, black September, Beirut barracks bombing, etc, all made those who speak or write Arabic suspicious to many Americans.

2 Likes

Or Those learning Arabic! I wonder why the TSA agents themselves are not required to learn Arabic? With the high level of expertise that most agents show, learning a new language should be a piece of cake.Some smart terrorist may slip and expose his diabolical plans while speaking Arabic in an airport. If all TSA agents spoke Arabic just think of the number of terrorist they would catch. Most likely about the same they have caught so far. I assume I do not need to mention I am being sarcastic.

4 Likes

As if Philadelphia is on any terrorists ‘get’ list.

He was flying out of Philadelphia to California, so I doubt they thought Philadelphia was the target. The Liberty Bell and Independence Hall would probably be decently high on a hit list.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.