American toddlers have shot 23 people so far this year

My impression is that what the Supremes said in Heller was, essentially, that the part about a “well-regulated militia” was meaningless throat-clearing, and can be deleted without changing the meaning of the Amendment.

Not that I’m not saying I like this. I’m just saying what the highest court says the law is.

1 Like

That case perverts the written intent of the amendment, which rather clearly reads that the purpose of the people keeping and bearing arms is to be a well-regulated militia which was seen in the 1700’s as necessary to the security of a free state.

Or, more explicitly, people who keep and bear arms = a militia.

5 Likes

Yep, that’s about average. 2015 had 51 guns caught per week … who knows how many guns made it through.

2 Likes

Why aren’t America’s prosecutors going after this group of violent predators hard? We need longer jail terms and judges with an old-fashioned sense of morality! AN EYE FOR AN EYE! TRUMP 2016! PUT BABIES IN JAIL FOR LIFE!

4 Likes

And that was because the founders of the country were really against having a standing army. Of course our outlook on that has since changed and for whatever reason we can’t manage to change our point of view for everyone to own an arsenal in their basement.

9 Likes

At the very least, we need to keep them out of the country until our representatives can figure out what is going on.

17 Likes

Wait. You mean gun’s right? I need to run the stats, but I think keeping children out of the country might be more difficult.

1 Like

Keeping them out will be less difficult than figuring out what to do with the ones manufactured in this country.

Babies, that is.
12 Likes

Kind of similar to the way that they ignored “To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts…” justification for copyright when they decided Eldred v. Ashcroft. Because there is no realistic way for that to justify extending copyright terms for existing material.

9 Likes

BUILD A WALL! It does not have to be very tall because babies cannot climb.

AND MAKE THEM PAY FOR IT!

13 Likes

To be fair to the toddlers, this figure does make them look considerably better than American police.

15 Likes

It is generally quite tricky to stab either yourself or another accidentally. Even in the stabby UK toddlers have stabbed nobody. I know nothing about US toddlers, however.

4 Likes

In the landmark Supreme Court case, D.C. vs Heller, the court explains that all citizens are the militia; the Second Amendment is an individual right, just like every other right protected in the Bill of Rights, and is independent of membership in any organized group or military unit.

And the dissent explains why this explanation is bullshit. One explanation had the votes, and the other didn’t.

5 Likes

Is there no general duty of care in the US of parents towards children requiring them to take reasonable care to keep their children and potentially lethal objects at a safe distance from each other? If not, why not?

1 Like

HITLER?

4 Likes

Well, they’ve certainly got you fooled.

15 Likes

I’m laughing, but I should be crying I think.

4 Likes

And the only reason you haven’t killed them is because your brain has poisoned you into thinking they are cute instead of seeing them for the ignorant pod-people parasites that they really are.

6 Likes
1 Like

I can’t think of something more reckless than “accidentally” (e.g. I forgot it was in my purse) or “purposefully” (e.g. we don’t have a gun safe) allowing a toddler to access a gun. The parents should be prosecuted – it’s the definition of child endangerment looking at the spirit of the law. In fact, even if they DON’T get to the gun it’s child endangerment.

14 Likes