American tourist demands to see Pope, then smashes two ancient statues in the Vatican

Originally published at: American tourist demands to see Pope, then smashes two ancient statues in the Vatican | Boing Boing

11 Likes

American tourists amirite…

35 Likes

Wow. Type about the ugly American.

22 Likes

Pro tip: do not fuck with the Swiss Guards.

31 Likes

Ahhh, Thundarr the Barbarian. Pure unadulterated fun. Makes me think I should start refereeing the RPG…

12 Likes

Indeed, a man walks down the street in a hat like that, you know he ain’t afeared of nothing.

Edited for: And he has friends…

39 Likes

Italy does seem to bring out the worst in tourists-maybe the Italians should just let them explore those volcanoes.

8 Likes

That was my plan, guess I gotta get a new one.

9 Likes

Did…did this guy think he was at the US Capital building maybe? We’re really bad at teaching geography. Him being at the Capital and asking for Il Papa is t necessarily dispositive either, since we’re also bad at teaching civics and world culture and even the bits of religion that aren’t all smashy and hateful.

8 Likes

Fun fact, I was a baseball toss away from Pope John Paul II during a papal audience. We met a young lady from Argentina on the train who had extra tickets for the section close to the pope.

11 Likes

Those magnificently stripèd gaiters also indicate this fact.

21 Likes

Yep; the whole ensemble is wonderfully stylish, and the guy wearing it carries it off a treat.

14 Likes

We are not alone, (un)fortunately, in “tourists behaving badly”.

7 Likes

I saw the Popemobile when he came to Philly. He was in it - but not the real draw.

We really pulled out all the stops for him. That’s more porta potties than St Pat’s Day. Fewer National Guard though.

13 Likes

That gentleman is going to Hell.

4 Likes

“What, the pope’s too busy to see me? Does he know I’m an American? You probably didn’t even tell him I was here. I pay your salary dammit! Get your holier-than-thou ass … hey! Who the Hell do you think you are? Get your hands off me!”

Another tourist, never to be seen again.

17 Likes

Don’t I get a staff badge; I was an altar boy?

10 Likes

14 Likes

Oooh, the temptation!

Edit for functional gif

13 Likes

Only in the embarrassment of riches that is the Vatican art collection would a 2000-year-old statue be considered “secondary”. I’m sure lots of museums would gladly take their surplus relics.

12 Likes