Amtrak vs snow, in slow-mo

17 Likes

For further context, here’s the station listing on the Amtrak website, complete with map.

https://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=am/am2Station/Station_Page&code=RHI

From the list of services this looks like a limited service station, with probably limited staffing.

1 Like

10/10. :clap:

6 Likes

I think it’s cool we live in a world where stuff like this happens.

12 Likes

Just watched this movie, like two weeks ago :smiley:

2 Likes

Fuckballs. That was amazing! Putting the video into slomo was genius. Sorry people got hurt in the making of this …hopefully just a little wet and cold with a funny story to tell when they get home.

9 Likes

This is stupidity on both sides. People should know better not to stand that close to such a situation (as you don’t need a Physics degree to know that that situation was dangerous).

But it’s also stupid on the part of Amtrak and that driver. It isn’t as if Amtrak has never seen that situation before. Someone f’ed up somewhere, if that situation was allowed to occur.

This made me laugh very hard. sure i had some safety concern after the laughing wore off, but man, that was hilarious from the safety and warmth of my web browser.

13 Likes

Either people were ready to video it and risk getting hit badly, or others would back way the hell up. Everyone was reacting early, I think the locals had probably been sharing these videos for a while.

With cameras covering the entire globe in the near future, I guess every accident, small or large, will be available for viewing.

3 Likes

Rhinecliff gets a lot of traffic. During the day, there’s a train in each direction roughly hourly, with a fair number of passengers for Rhinecliff. It’s the next station past the end of the commuter rail at Poughkeepsie, so there are a fair number of people commuting from there. It’s not some whistlestop in the middle of nowhere.

2 Likes

Oh, I can tell it’s a popular stop just by looking at the map and schedule, but that doesn’t mean it can’t also be under-staffed.

1 Like

When it went slo-mo I though, “shit! He’s not going to show it real time first.” As the timeline progressed I realized, “SHIT! He’s not even going to show it real time second!”

4 Likes

Here’s how Canadian trains do a rolling blizzard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yja2VmZOfdA

15 Likes

Hope he had a nice warm anorak.

1 Like

Eh, that seems pretty fluffy new snow, so even if parts of it have been packed a little, there’s not really going to be chunks of ice or gravel or anything similar there. Getting pelted by snow alone is going to be unpleasant, but not very dangerous.

2 Likes

And yet that wouldn’t be the case whilst exposing oneself to an STD.

2 Likes

Wow! The stress on the train doing that for mile after mile must be immense. Big stuff is so cool.

1 Like

That video is crying out to be edited so it only starts at the point the train is no longer visible and all we see is a snow explosion coming towards the camera. Several seconds of “WTF ?!?!?!!” and then “Wow”.

3 Likes

I think we can safely say the train won that snowball fight :wink:

8 Likes

I thought this was a part of that slow-motion sketch from Chappelle’s Show.