An annual Christmas craft tradition: the Die Hard Air Duct ornament

I stand corrected. Need to see it again, obviously.

1 Like

Die Hard happened to come on cable last night (on IFC, so no bleeping and dubbing swear words!) and I decided to watch it, my wife was a bit grumbly about it – she hadn’t seen it in 30 years – and I explained this is the best Christmas movie. After about half way through her skepticism was lifted and she’s now a believer. Ho Ho Ho!

6 Likes

Die Hard is THE CHRISTMAS MOVIE, especially the TV edited version. I’m going to get those mother funsters!

the tv version is the best version though, dubbed not bleeped. lol. soooooo funny. a little something for everyone in the family. the replacements are truly classics.

2 Likes

It isn’t a British Christmas without these.

7 Likes

A favor, please… on a scale of 0-10 where

0=zero buckets of gore*, zero acts of violence
and
10=gore and violence (gratuitously deployed or otherwise) replete throughout the entire film

… how do you score this movie?

sorta borrowing from the Joe Bob Briggs movie rating system but also, I have a limited tolerance for gooey graphic gore.

2 Likes

3? There is a scene of already dead reindeer but no real gore that I recall otherwise and nobody dies in an awful way onscreen at least. On the other hand old man full frontal nudity does happen in one scene.

6 Likes

Relieved. Thanks!

The movie stills looked just a bit iffy, and I appreciate your own first-hand experience.

1 Like

The edited-for-TV version of Die Hard with a Vengeance includes a less offensive version of the infamous sandwich board sign too, though it’s not as apparent why it would trigger violent wrath from every street gang in Harlem.

Thug: “Yo yo, captain negative! You need to get your head right and reconnect with your fellow human beings. No man is an island!”

hate-sign

3 Likes

The Christmas connection (if for nothing else) is made: HE died hard for our sins.

:smiling_imp:

1 Like

Pfft, Lethal Weapon is THE Christmas movie. Also, Rare Exports was (in my opinion) a terrible movie.

1 Like

I must be losing my touch…

The Life of Brian

I’d also include Planes, Trains and Automobiles or at least give it a honourable mention. Okay, the setting is Thanksgiving, but the mood fits and there is a lot of snow in it.

1 Like

­

4 Likes
2 Likes

If anything that’s a “Good Friday” movie, not a “Christmas” movie.

4 Likes

It starts on THE christmas.
I say it counts.

5 Likes

Lest we forget - Die Hard also has one of the best Christmas songs, ever.

7 Likes

Boomers should know this one: “A Christmas Carol (1971)”, it being an animated-version made by the great Chuck Jones and packed with a lot of quality animation (some of it spooky) and story-telling in less than 1/2 hour. It won the 1972 Academy Award for best animated short feature. The DVD is hard to find, but it is on YouTube.

4 Likes

Obligatory:

7 Likes

Sounds interesting; I’ll look into it. Thanks for the tip!

2 Likes

Just watched the first minute, and boy howdy does the opening pan confuse my sense of spacial relations. It goes down to the street, then back upside down, then I’m not sure how it gets to the top of the last building before the last pan down again. I’ve watched it like 7 times and it seems like an impossible Escher city.

But still, c’mon let’s face it. It’s beautiful and artfully done, but it ain’t no Mr. Magoo.