An appropriate children's toy from 1964

Guns, hand grenades, mortar launchers, etc … I played with them all !

After stealing (borrowing) from my older brother though, I never had all the original pieces ~ but a zillion others…

And no; it’s not a doll, but an Action Figure … Wasn’t it nice when we just called everything a ‘toy’ :worried:

6 Likes

You two aren’t even close

Why get the toy when you can have the real thing?

2 Likes

I had a Johnny Seven OMA - the thing was way cool, but way too bulky to actually use playing war. I usually shot mine around inside the house, but for war games with friends I grabbed my trusty Mattel tommy gun, even after the rat-a-tat firing mechanism and feeder for the roll of caps quit working.

2 Likes

I thought of Starship Troopers

2 Likes

Needs more knife thrusting,

It’s my family motto:

Just plasticum me mittere, et potentissimus obtinebas eam.

3 Likes

“The world is not enough.”

“Foolish sentiment.”

“Family motto.”

Not the best Bond movie (and certainly not the worst), but I did appreciate the callback to OHMSS.

3 Likes

Mighty Morphine Power Rangers

4 Likes

Complete with two Marxist newspapers and a Mannlicher-Carcano?

1 Like

I had one of these as a kid along with several other types of cap/pop/etc guns. Even carried a pocket knife at the age of 7. Strangely as an adult I have zero desire for a real gun, but I do carry a leatherman on a daily basis. So it is possible for some of us to play with toy guns and not turn into homicidal maniacs.

3 Likes

The “Lobsters” in Bruce Sterling’s Schismatrix, although they might have been engineered for radiation hardening rather than g-force. It’s been a while.

1 Like

You should visit the International Spy Museum on your next visit in D.C. They’ve got tons of actual, real spy equipment on display, in addition to stuff from Bond movies, toys, and so on.

2 Likes

It’s interesting that this ad aired right around the time when war toys were beginning to become unfashionable on the left coast. I grew up with absolutely no guns in the house, toys or otherwise. As children, we were reduced to running around pointing sticks at each other and yelling “peww peww!” Because what is more childish than running around pointing guns at everything?

Staunch defenders of the Second Amendment will be surprised to note that my upbringing allowed me to perceive “grey areas” where guns were concerned. When I moved to a more rural area, I had many opportunities to use real guns irresponsibly. But, like growing up without junk food, I don’t have any nostalgic feeling about guns or toy guns so some of their childish power is meaningless to me.

I like your style.

5 Likes

Just about the right shape to get those kids used to carrying an M-16.

1 Like

Skynet, by Mattel!

1 Like

My kindergarten-era toys that I remember best were Billy Blastoff (a toy astronaut with a variety of accessories and a moon rover), and a plastic, battery-operated toy train. But there were still plenty of toy guns over the years, generally garden-variety cap guns and squirt guns. The best cap guns were from the 1970s, with the ring caps - they made a louder bang than the old paper strip caps. Today, one of those would likely get you shot by the police, as they were much more realistic-looking, in spite of the red plastic tip in the barrel.

As a teenager, I got my grandfather’s Crosman .22 air rifle, though I had to work to earn that one. It was quite powerful - it could blast large holes into the thick steel coffee cans of the era. It had quite a bit more punch than a BB gun or a .177 air rifle.

I’m over 50 now and have yet to own an actual firearm, though.

2 Likes

[quote=“GoatCheezInfrno, post:78, topic:95531”]
Billy Blastoff (a toy astronaut with a variety of accessories and a moon rover)[/quote]
I had to look that up. I was growing up at that time, and a little space nut, but for some reason it isn’t remotely familiar! Not even the commercial. Could it have been too “young” for me by 1970, and just flew under my radar?

More likely “Billy Blastoff” flew well over your radar.

2 Likes