An appropriate children's toy from 1964

It would have been Chirstmas 1969, or possibly 1970. 1969 makes the most sense due to Apollo 11 and 12, and it couldn’t have been later than 1970 since my family moved in early 1971.

1 Like

Y’know, with the minor addition of a chainsaw bayonet, the Johnny 7 OWA would look surprisingly at home in Gears of War. Not quite over the top enough; but solid effort for the period.

1 Like

Contemporary propellants have more or less wiped the floor with pneumatic guns in terms of performance; but (while constrained by the difficulties of fabricating pneumatic pressure vessels with period tech), there are some air rifles that were not only not to be trifled with; but were pretty scary compared to period gunpowder weapons.

Dad would let me wear his shoulder holster when he came home from work. Once I found a gun something like this

in his dresser and kept it in my toy box for ages, until either mother stumbled upon it or dad realized it was missing and searched, and probably only searched my room for reasons.

And I loved cap guns, and playing war with them. If there was no kids around you’d just sit on the sidewalk and smash a pile of caps with a rock.

ETA remember those little black tablets you held a match to and whatever chemical reaction it had made snakes?

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.