An eerily beautiful drone video of shutdown San Francisco

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/25/an-eerily-beautiful-drone-vide.html

8 Likes

Made me cry, I love that city, and hate what money did to it.

12 Likes

Jeez that’s creepy. I worked in the city for over a decade and recognized a lot of those places, but could never picture them like this while I was there. So weird.

6 Likes

If it weren’t for the whole deadly virus thing, this would be a great opportunity to get a lot of roadwork done.

8 Likes

Given the jackhammers and buzz-saws I’ve been hearing at 7am outside my apartment this week, it’s apparent that road crews are out there still working.

5 Likes

I kept on expecting Linda Hamilton’s voice to cut in; bemoaning the murderous activities of The Machines.

8 Likes

Under most circumstances, Id be worried about a drone falling on someone. This kinda makes me wish Id gotten into drone photography sooner, so I could be doing this myself right now!

2 Likes

So the rule is to stay home unless you want to use your drone?

1 Like

The crossing outside Abbey Road studios just got a lick of paint

This is the first time they could do it without anyone walking through the wet paint

8 Likes

The birds must be wondering what happened to all the monkeys

5 Likes

The guidelines for San Francisco currently allow going outside for exercise as long as you stay at least 6 feet away from others. The parts of the city captured here are more empty than most because nobody lives there and nobody goes to those areas for exercise. There are more people to be found on the streets in residential neighborhoods.

2 Likes

I just saw a similar video with my city Frankfurt

To be fair, that video was filmed last Sunday in the morning. Still, there is something deeply unsetteling about seeing a city empty like that. You just know instinctively that something is very fucking wrong here. It triggers some primal fear in you.
8 Likes

Well that’s awesome. I can get my exercise by flying a drone!

2 Likes

3 Likes

Look at all that PARKING.

5 Likes

that was super cool

but sadly I think we are headed more towards THX1138

just imagine 20 more years of climate change with a few more pandemics (and a few more trumps)

2 Likes

And here I thought Austin was looking dead.

1 Like

@2:03 I see the Salesforce tower. Now that is a corporation I’d love to see crash and burn. Hope Benioff gets COVID-19 from an ICE camp. Namaste, you phony woke piece of shit

My cousin lives in the heart of the city, and this is exactly how he describes the scene now. It’s heartbreaking. It’s such a vibrant, alive place. He’s definitely hoping that this somehow forces a re-set on the cost of living there, though.

1 Like

Geeze…don’t hold back bruh. Tell us how you really feel. Also, that’s some pretty bad karma you’re putting out there.