An important safety reminder about Satan

‘Worse than the devil’.

Like Satan.

2 Likes

We all chortle to ourselves, but the sad thing is that there are people who take this quite seriously…

Hang around some born again evangelicals for a while if you need first hand experience with this mindset.

1 Like

Oh, I very much used to be one of those people. Until philosophy class in college and I ended up like:

1 Like

Yeah, the low-VOC refit with heat pumps and nicer windows hung with calla lilly and spider plants is a nice touch, but going through court to match up billing is no favor! At least they can notarize your Satan Battle credential for you now?

Is it too late to say (O Great Landloard Conan,) this light gas is odorless and colorless, like something that once marinated has the taint of umami? Is that already in Korgoth of Barbaria?

I’m excited for people to start using the “carbon monoxide made me do it” excuse.

1 Like

Alas, it doesn’t quite work as a grammatical fortune cookie suffix.

“You will have new opportunities in the weeks ahead – as is Satan”

It’s the new “between the sheets”

Wait, you’re a re-born (to some sort of intelligent self-awareness) born again?

Then there is hope?..

You’d better not be messing with me!

1 Like

I believe the proper term is “Deconverted”

But really there was no original conversion because my parents (who are born-agains) spent my whole childhood working on brainwashing me within the church, so it’s not like there was a specific point of conversion where I “accepted jeebus into my heart”. I just was raised to be fearful of and disgusted with humanity. And then spent some time with some great teachers and friends who helped me to understand critical thinking and reason and the difference between looking for confirmation and looking for the truth.

ETA: So yes, people deconvert all the time. But it’s almost never a quantized process, usually it’s very continuous.

See, that’s not what I’d consider being a deconverted “born again”. Leaving a frightening cult yes, but if you’re indoctrinated as a child, you never converted in the first place.

The people who really frighten me are the ones who willingly choose to leave the responsibility for their own thought processes (and morality/ethics) up to others (be they church elders or whoever). Those are the ones who you generally don’t see “deconverting”.

2 Likes

Well, that’s very true. There’s a reason why religions are popular. Working with reason and logic and figuring out rules and values to live by on your own, or using a humanist (or whatever philosophical) frame work is much, much more difficult than simply obeying what an authority figure says.

Morality in the bible: Do what god (specifically whatever crazy or powerful people) says or else the community maims or kills you. Hell, there’s even a whole book (Job) dedicated to illustrating that if god’s just fucking with you, you have no right to know why he’s doing that, or even to hear the reasoning for why it’s moral of god to do it.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.