An ode to Tom Baker

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2022/04/17/an-ode-to-tom-baker.html

14 Likes

I LOVE Tom Baker, and I burst into tears the first time I heard, “I really think you might,” in Day of the Doctor, but yeah, Tennant is the face of the franchise now.

I will fight any one who doesn’t think Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead isn’t the best Doctor Who ever aired.

12 Likes

For us in North America he was the first Doctor we knew, cause thats when PBS started airing the show in the US. He was just so playful too. A wry smile, a glint in his eye, jokes and puns, and the best (or most iconic) wardrobe. My mom couldnt make me wear a scarf but he did.

24 Likes

buddy baker everyone GIF

23 Likes

Normally not a big fan of reaction videos, but this is on my “watch when I’m having a shit day” playlist.

11 Likes

The Great Fourth was my first Doctor.

We got hip to Who via TVO (Canadian public tv), Channel 32, which barely came in on our tv b/c UHF and far away. It were fuzzier’n Tom’s hair, but still watchable. A bit later the local CBC channel began carrying it, and since it’s just across the Detroit River in Windsor, it comes in crystal clear. Our local PBS station began carrying it later still.

Oh, very, very same! snif

ETA: It was inordinately dusty in my room throughout that one, if I’m honest.

16 Likes

For me, that accolade has probably got to go to “Midnight”, which is Russell Davies flexing his playwright creds and going full Three Dramatic Unities.

6 Likes
13 Likes

4th-doctor-jelly-baby

24 Likes

Neil Gaiman tells a wonderful Doctor story.

Like many kids, he hid behind the sofa for parts of the brand new tv series, and loved it all the more. Next day at school, his classmates were pushing their milk cartons round the lunch tables, creepily intoning, “Exterbinate! Exterbinate!”

He also wrote a wonderful Doctor story, in which the TARDIS becomes A Lady.

14 Likes

36 Likes

Matt Smith Tardis GIF by Doctor Who

A Nightmare in Silver was good, too…

11th-doctor-fantastic

He’s a little busy with adapting his own stuff, but I’d love to see him write more Doctor Who episodes…

neil-gaiman-yells

17 Likes

Indeed!

He also appears to like sighthounds, which is always a good choice.

4 Likes

As Rasputin

15 Likes

Hallowe’en 2012. My son (pictured with sonic screwdriver) had a alternative to “trick or treat”:
“Knock knock.”
“Who’s there?”
“Doctor.”

24 Likes

I was walking somewhere quite local and I saw him coming along the other side of the road…
nothing surprising…

just like the time I passed benny hill near baker street…

7 Likes

Solid choice. Not my favorite because, once again, Donna gets crapped on.

I’d probably go with Heaven Sent, Capaldi gave such an amazing performance there.

5 Likes

Tom Baker was The Doctor when I joyfully discovered Doctor Who in Chicago in 1975 on WTTW.

Yup, I’ve watched this amazing series for almost 50 years and still appreciate its quirkiness, creativity, and mashup of fantasy and science fiction.

Chicago Who fans actually helped fund WTTW during a particularly needy period and this PBS station rewarded us with an entire week of episodes, back to back, every Sunday night.

Good times, people, good times. :grin:

12 Likes

OK, all is forgiven: a video of Tom Baker is never a wrong thread to start!

13 Likes

4th-doctor-not-old-mature

21 Likes