An Ohio couple and their twins all share the same birthday

Originally published at: An Ohio couple and their twins all share the same birthday | Boing Boing

1 Like

Happy Birthday GIF by The Simpsons

In this case, all four of them!

6 Likes

What does a family do? Share one cake, or bake 4 separate cakes?

Excited Happy Birthday GIF by Mickey Mouse

4 Likes

… um, except I don’t believe twins’ birthdays are statistically independent from each other :thinking:

9 Likes
2 Likes

1 Like

Damn, all I can think is that this would kind of suck, because all the pleasures of the individual birthday would be gone - being able to dictate what you’d like to do or eat (or even have those tailored to you by others), for instance. (Though I say this as someone who hasn’t celebrated his birthday in 20 years, so what do I know.) But maybe I’m thinking about it wrong, and the communal birthday would make for a nice family celebration, something equivalent to a Christmas that exists only within that family, but potentially with all the special feelings that can arise from such a holiday. Still though, there’s no way there won’t be only a quarter the amount of cake, overall.

3 Likes

As someone whose birthday is the day after Christmas (my dad’s is ON Christmas), it does kinda suck having to share attention. (I also felt like my present quality/quantity suffered because everyone is strapped from Christmas time.) But, your parents can still make a point to make it special.

Though Twins have to share EVERYTHING, I get the impression that the twin bond makes that ok. And when you’re a kid, grown up birthdays just don’t garner the same attention as kid ones.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t take those odds but one of the easiest bar bets to win is two people in a bar will share a birthday.

Understanding the Birthday Paradox – BetterExplained).

As far as sharing a birthday with our daughter that wouldn’t be bad for her because of course she’d be the center of attention from us on her birthday.

2 Likes

I’m a twin and a parent of twins so I have some experience there; sharing the celebration is really not a bad thing as long as you’re not a selfish person by nature.

4 Likes

Good timing. Get it all over with on one day a year and be done with it. You just can’t fault the sheer efficiency of this.

2 Likes

My dad’s falls on Halloween, and he had four boys.

My Big Fat Fabulous Life Dad GIF by TLC

4 Likes

New Year’s Eve here

valentine valentine’s day GIF by Crave

2 Likes

the text in this article says "The family will all celebrate together every year on August 14th. " but the video says 18th.

1 Like

No, but the odds of a birth being twins needs to be accounted for. I think it’s on the order of 1%? If they weren’t twins and all four had the same birthday, that’s even less likely.

Odds of two parents and a kid having the same birthday (assuming parents sharing a birthday didn’t have any impact on their getting together): 1/(365^2).

Odds of two parents and twins having the same birthday: ~1/(365^2*100)

Odds of two parents and two non-twin kids having the same birthday: 1/(365^3)

I’m assuming this was a natural birth, not induced or c-section, and they weren’t aiming for the shared birthday? Otherwise the quoted odds don’t apply.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.