An on-going thread of Trump's Legal woes

But he’s sure that he’s going to heaven; so it’s just wishing him well.

Bon voyage!

11 Likes

As always, you are a far better person than me, Doc.

17 Likes

Listen to the live stream of the hearing about immunity… NPR/PBS has it…

Sotomayor seems highly skeptical and is justice-splaining to Trump’s lawyer…

11 Likes

Trump’s attorney just admitted a number of the allegations in the indictment allege private acts, not public ones. That’s an admission that Trump has no immunity for those charges. He’s trying to say they disagree with that characterization, but that means that’s an issue of fact that the jury would have to decide, not a question of law. That’s basically the case. I don’t think there’s any chance they grant him immunity now.

ETA: This proves to me that the only point of this exercise was to delay the trial. He’s not really making much of an argument at all.

21 Likes

Indeed.

It seems like to my untrained ear, yeah!

Oh yeah, for sure. And SCOTUS did play along by not taking this up when Smith asked them to, and then by burying it late in the calendar.

14 Likes

Kagan just made her opinion clear.

16 Likes

She was the one asking about a coup and whether that would be an official act? Yeah!

12 Likes

Fucking Gorsuch.

12 Likes

It’s clear some of the right wing are trying to figure out some way to vote in Trump’s favor…

11 Likes

BINGO

9 Likes

ACB seems to definitely be leaning against immunity. Alito and Gorsuch are leaning towards partial immunity, I think. Not sure about Kavanaugh. I’m sure Kagan, Sotomayor, and KBJ are fully against immunity. Have we heard from Thomas yet?

10 Likes

I think he asked on question earlier, but can’t remember what it was…

6 Likes

He’s known for not asking a lot of questions. He tends to just listen.

7 Likes

KBJ is really ripping this guy.

ETA: I really like her so far, what little I’ve heard since she’s been on the Court. She has a clear voice and perspective, distinctive even from the others on the left.

15 Likes

True, but he’s been more active since his BFF Scalia died…

Yep! I am HERE for it!

11 Likes

Now Thomas is questioning the lawyer for the government…

5 Likes

What is he talking about? What President has participated in a coup? Is he talking about coups of foreign governments?

8 Likes

I don’t know… :thinking:

5 Likes

Yeah, that’s what he was talking about. He mentioned Operation Mongoose. That was a CIA operation Kennedy authorized to overthrow Castro in Cuba in 1961.

8 Likes

Ok, I gotta get back to studying.

10 Likes