Grand jury in Fulton County, Georgia, charges Trump and 18 others over election interference

Originally published at: Grand jury in Fulton County, Georgia, charges Trump and 18 others over election interference | Boing Boing

13 Likes

67a15d9f7824c6b86578b6227d5e4e823255c7f3099745867d85ab158710a667

35 Likes

There are going to many chin-stroking debates by the lawyers about whether the Georgia (i.e. not federal) RICO charges are appropriate or advisable. I don’t care. Win or lose, Biff and his toadies like Giuliani (sweet irony) are going to be treated like the mobsters they are in a court of law.

the sitting president could not pardon him on them: the Georgia State Board of Pardons and Paroles has that job.

Only after serving five years in prison. And if Fani Willis prevails on behalf of the people of Georgia, imprisonment of some sort would be a required part of the sentences.

40 Likes

In the Georgia Prisoner’s dilemma, there’s a lot of incentive for the low people on the pyramid to cut a deal.

:popcorn:

40 Likes

48 Likes

Of the 18 indicted, I can see Meadows taking the Georgia version of a Queen for a Day deal. The rest of them are the types who would have stayed in the bunker with der Fuhrer to the very end: fanatics, cowards, and those so powerless that they have no other choice.

21 Likes

National security attorney Mark Zaid called it a “true #MAGA moment — Make Attorneys Get Attorneys.”

27 Likes

He’s so fucked you’ll have to provide proof of age to watch the trial in Utah.

30 Likes

charlie brown dancing GIF by Peanuts

26 Likes

It’s attorneys all the way down.

Attorneys for Giuliani and Chesebro have sought to blame others on the campaign’s legal team or in Trump’s orbit. And Trump’s own lawyers have signaled that they plan to argue that Trump relied heavily on the “advice of counsel.”

23 Likes

28 Likes

Way too long in coming, still too burnt to put in all the hopes, but damn it’s a good day for comeuppances. Go Fani Willis Go!

23 Likes

Oh Happy Day Summer GIF by Volmary

24 Likes

22 Likes

There’s 30 unnamed unindicted co-consiprators in the indictment. Lawyer Wife, who stayed up to gleefully read the whole thing, her big take-away was that “lots of people have already flipped.”

40 Likes

I would not be surprised if Trump declared that he thought that he could not get a fair trial, and fled the country. I think he might run to the UAE, and declare himself “The legitimate President of the United States, in EXILE”, and his Cult Members would support that insanity 1000%, and probably start committing acts of terrorism in his holy name, to demand his return and reinstatement to office. But I sure hope that I’m wrong.

14 Likes

Hope Lawyer Wife is right. Remember when Trump squealed “Flipping should be against the law!”?

21 Likes

The NY times has an annotated copy of the indictment that’s surprisingly useful:

This is a hell of a document & Ms. Willis should never have to buy her own drinks again.

30 Likes

Helpful:

31 Likes

there’s dues and then there’s process

3 Likes