Grand jury in Fulton County, Georgia, charges Trump and 18 others over election interference

So great to see the wheels of American justice still turning. Great job down there, gang. Keep it up. The rest of the world really needs America to come out the other side of this dark time as well. We all depend on each other.

34 Likes

Legal pundit/podcaster & former Federal prosecutor Ken White, who has spent the last umpteen years explaining to audiences why “it’s (almost) never RICO,” had this to say last night:

21 Likes

Nothing to see here.

Go about your business.

You know: Get people registered, volunteer for and donate to campaigns, help folks make fool-proof game plans well before election day. Vote blue in every race in every election.

Even if Trump is in jail, the GOP won’t quit Trumpism until they feel the pain in the ballot box.

Dance Dancing GIF by Bluey

36 Likes

High Five Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles GIF

11 Likes

19 Likes

I was just coming to post that video. Since you beat me to it, I’m going to post a link to the archived Popehat blog search for “rico”. The June 14, 2016 “Lawsplainer: IT’S NOT RICO, DAMMIT” post is particularly entertaining (and is the only item in the “Things that make Ken stabby” category. :grin:)

12 Likes

Ahahaha amazing. As you say, for anyone not aware, he’s the It’s Not RICO guy who has blogged really extensively about how layfolk think everything is RICO and nothing ever is.

16 Likes

To be fair, Georgia RICO is different from Federal RICO, so not RICO still applies, in a sense.

11 Likes

It’s surprising that he didn’t qualify it that way when he admitted it’s RICO. Anyhow, it doesn’t matter anymore. Forward!

13 Likes

Since you mention it…

23 Likes

Former President Trump said Tuesday that he plans to present new evidence of 2020 “presidential election fraud” in Georgia that, he claimed, will completely exonerate him and others charged in unveiled Monday night.

https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/4153153-trump-claims-report-will-result-in-complete-exoneration-in-georgia/

Sure Jan GIFs | Tenor

23 Likes

When it comes to his Big Lie strategy, all this grifter can do is keep doubling down on it.

17 Likes

It’s plausible, and frankly it sounds like a best-case scenario. Trump might not get convicted (even if it does look good), trials could be disrupted by MAGA violence, no one wants to put a former president in jail even if he is convicted (so some sort of house arrest seems likely), MAGA terrorism is going to occur no matter what happens, and the danger should he be elected again is extreme. Being in exile and unable to return would be a self-inflicted humiliation for him that would defuse a lot of the political danger, and undermine some of his support (and his finances).

12 Likes

As soon as he finished finding Obama’s REAL birth certificate, and finishing up his health care plan that will cover everyone much cheaper than Obamacare.

ETA:
His “news conference” will largely be an attempt to get followers to threaten or murder cooperating witnesses and the prosecution, followed by an appeal for funds.

20 Likes

While watching the news conference last night, I said to my wife “I got you some indictments for our wedding anniversary!”. She replied “Thanks! It’s just what I wanted, and it’s the perfect size and color!”. It’s not jasper (traditional for #42, IIRC) but it’s the thought that counts, right?

20 Likes

Here’s the thing, bro: even if someone did uncover new evidence of actual voter fraud (which they haven’t and won’t) that wouldn’t change the nature of any of the crimes you committed.

22 Likes

Even if it’s “just” sparkling peach corruption, I’ll take it. Cheers!

18 Likes

With this indictment, as with Mar-a-Lago and Jan 6th, it’s amazing how much is already public knowledge, and includes stuff Trump has admitted to (even bragging and insisting he did nothing wrong-- “it was a perfect phone call!”)

OK fine, it’s RICO, but is it “SUAVE”?

14 Likes

Meadows is also my bet for being first to flip.

Fair-schmair.

Just like the guy who came up with GIF, he should have specified exactly what he meant back when he first said it; no gray areas.

Never means “not ever.” Not even state level.

So as much as I like Popehat, he still needs to own not being correct for once.

12 Likes

i think of it more like the show “house”: it’s never lupus.

( until season 4 )

17 Likes