An on-going thread of Trump's Legal woes

Yes, I think that’s been posted a couple of times in other threads? Maybe the election thread?

Waving Jimmy Carter GIF by GIPHY News

10 Likes
15 Likes
14 Likes

Double jeopardy!?! Creating a slate of fake electors in Arizona is a separate crime from doing so in other states. :rage:

15 Likes

10 Likes

Not enough evidence … yet.

8 Likes

Sought, not seeks? Sounds like old news, not a “bombshell.” :thinking:

8 Likes

I think the bombshell is that the grand jury wanted to indict T****, and the deputy AG lied to them to get them to back off.

12 Likes

Okay, so what sort of repercussions is that likely to have?

Sorry, but if all of Tromp’s other shenanigans and crimings haven’t sunk and imprisoned him yet, this bombshell seems like just another dud.

9 Likes

Correct. When the indictments in the Arizona case were first handed down, the fact that the grand jury wanted to indict Trump but didn’t wasn’t revealed.

There’s no indication of that. More likely is that they weren’t confident of getting a conviction based on the evidence they had at the time. The evidence against the other 18 is pretty strong. Linking everything to Trump is harder. As they mention in that video, now that Jenna Ellis has taken a plea, that may have changed, so they could still indict Trump on this. I’ve heard no indication that anyone from the prosecution lied to the grand jury.

18 Likes

He lied to the Grand Jury that double-jeopardy was in play, It wasn’t. Creating a fraudulent slate of electors in Arizona is a separate crime from doing so in Georgia (or Michigan, or Wisconsin, etc.) as well as separate from the insurrection in DC.

16 Likes

Frustrating, but duds can still be used as a hammer.

9 Likes

:man_facepalming: :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

13 Likes

Exactly. I think if it was anyone else, it’d be closer to admitting a broad criminal conspiracy, but he somehow remains legally slippery. Getting off on a murder trial doesn’t mean you have a license to kill.

6 Likes
20 Likes

@kenwhite.bsky.social If a person sues the DOJ for monetary damages, and then becomes the President, can they order the DOJ to pay to settle the suit? What limits are there on the size of a settlement before the DOJ would need to get Congressional approval?

Not only will the m’fer dismiss the suits, he’ll order the DOJ to pay him damages.

Angry Star Wars GIF

14 Likes

Well, guess we need to make sure that scenario never occurs, hmmm?

Seriously, that would be the least of our issues if thst nightmate were to come true, but still horrendous.

13 Likes

Near top reply “Pres orders the Treasury to mint the billion dollar coin and give it to him. Official act.”

Similarish stuff is going off, slowly, with the UK House of Lords, our (mostly unelected) upper chamber[1]. The relevant chunk are the Life Peers [2], appointed by the Prime Minister and serve for life. No upper limit.

There’s been some damn questionable appointments the last 15 years, and they’ll be there until they snuff it. The new Labour government are suggesting that they’ll give the Lords an age limit of 80, and are considering other stuff to shrink it and more it more democratic.

1. it is taking all my restraint to not go off on a tangent about how the legislature and executive overlap in the Westminster system. ↩︎

2. The Hereditary Peers are what we usually think of with noble titles - inherited wankers. Amusingly, these are elected. All hereditary lords elect which of them will sit in the House of Lords. The other branch are the Lords Spiritual. This is one of the reasons Separation of Church and State is a thing. Traditionally these were the most senior bishops in the Church of England, but now it’s all major faith leaders in proportion to their faithful according to the last census. ↩︎

7 Likes

Campaignus interruptus?

8 Likes

From your lips to God’s ear, Sugarplum.

8 Likes