Analysis of Drumpf's incitement to insurrection speech

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/09/analysis-of-drumpfs-incitement-to-insurrection-speech.html

11 Likes

The post appears to be an ad for me to go spend a bunch of my precious eyeball rays on Twitter?

4 Likes

if you would like to read an in-depth analysis and discussion about trump’s incitement speech on 1/6, then go read it and if you don’t want to read about it with such depth then don’t.

22 Likes

Here’s the thread rolled up:

25 Likes

Trump should be in jail already but instead there is a realistic concern he may run for president again.

9 Likes

Love getting the full rundown from someone used to parsing propaganda-speak.

It puts words to gut-level feelings I’ve had about Trump’s speeches for a while.

18 Likes

at 200 entries, that’s one of the longest twitter threads i’ve read(!)

a lot of it was obvious just listening to trump’s speech, but i think abramson’s blow by blow gives a nice road to those articles of impeachment.

17 Likes

Tl. Wihr.

(Too long. Wish I hadn’t read.)

4 Likes

Seth did the Lord’s work here, but you can condense the analysis a bit:

“These people are not going to take it any longer. They’re not going to take it any longer…They came from all over our country. I just really want to see what they do.” It’s an astonishing admission he thinks something is going to happen.

Trump lets his speech be interrupted by an extended chant from his army, and it’s because it’s a chant he approves of and that matches what he wants: “FIGHT FOR TRUMP! FIGHT FOR TRUMP! FIGHT FOR TRUMP!”

"If those tens of thousands of people would be allowed—the military, the Secret Service, the police, law enforcement, you’re doing a great job—but I’d love it if they could be allowed to come up here with us. Is that possible? Can you just let them come up please?

He is asking “the military, the Secret Service, the police, [and] law enforcement” (his words) to march with “us” to the Capitol. Every indication here is that Trump wanted the ranks of his army to be swelled by actual military and armed law enforcement before his army marched on the Capitol. This is a full-blown coup.

“I just spoke to Mike [Pence] and I said, ‘That doesn’t take courage, what takes courage is to do nothing.’” Why? Because Trump is saying Pence - by doing nothing to help Trump - is endangering himself.

“We have someone in there who should not be in there and our country will be destroyed and we’re not going to stand for that.”

our country has been under siege for a long time.

Today we see a very important event, though. I’m gonna be watching, because history is going to be made. We’re going to see whether or not we have great and courageous leaders or whether or not we have leaders who should be ashamed of themselves." We as in the mob in front of him.

I mean it—that’s his most chilling line yet. “A lot of those people are going to find out” that “it takes more courage not to stand up.” Because a mob is coming. He makes clear he refers to something that’s going to happen soon. Within an hour, the Capitol is besieged.

“When you catch someone in a fraud, you’re allowed to go by {he pauses} very different rules.”

And if you don’t fight like hell, you’re not going to have a country anymore."

“So we’re going to walk down Pennsylvania Avenue and we’re going TO THE CAPITOL and we’re going to try and give our Republicans—the weak ones, because the strong ones don’t need any of our help—the kind of pride and boldness that they need to TAKE BACK OUR COUNTRY”

That’s it, that’s the ballgame. “Under siege”, “fight like hell”, “take back our country”, “go by different rules”, “not gonna take it any longer”, “not gonna stand for it”, “I wish the military were here to help”, “FIGHT FOR TRUMP!”

28 Likes

It’ll take a month to impeach. There is no solution to the immediate threat he poses.

4 Likes

The process in the House should take about long enough to play his speech and a medley of the video from the Capitol storming. Then a vote. Less than half a day.

We all need to pressure the Senate to take up the trial in a special session instead of waiting for the 19th. It took them, what, 48 hours? to put together a session specifically to confirm Barrett after RBG’s passing. Waiting 13 days to even hold a session on sedition is, in itself, dereliction of duty and enabling 45’s criminal endeavors.

26 Likes

I hate to say it but Moscow Mitch is right…it would take unanimous consent to bring them back before the 19th, and that’s not going to happen.

The purpose of the impeachment at this point is as much of keeping him from the post-presidential benefits and holding office as it is keeping him from starting back up Trump 2024 Nurenburg rallies in 3 weeks on the campaign money he’s earned from this scam.

10 Likes

“Rudy has guts”

Yeah, they’re leaking out past his head gasket.

18 Likes

Is that one of the traditions or rules that he’s run roughshod over for 6 years?

10 Likes

The most interesting bit to me was this part:

36/ What we know for sure is Rudy helped coordinate the insurrection, making calls to the Capitol in mid-coup to try to get Trump’s allies to artificially elongate the vote—which would’ve given rioters more time to breach the House/Senate chambers.

It might be difficult to prove intent, but this is important.

18 Likes

Y’all, this is something I would not advise other than these circumstances, but it is important to actually watch what Trump says here.

It is a cavalcade of horrifying lies, and it is an incitement to revolution. It is important that we all take the time to watch this seditionist inciting his seditionist followers.

9 Likes

As has been widely acknowledge, that “Drumpf” bit feels like a fairly weak/invalid criticism against a man who deserves much better.

(edit spelling it out: yes, I do mean he deserves better criticism. I’ve never seen a single pro-trump voice in these forums; I thought people would take a small leap to get to my intended meaning)

I would say the speed of impeachment is limited by the codified process in each house. For the House, they would need to draft articles of impeachment, have them approved by the judiciary committee, then pass a floor vote. And this would have to be fit into the existing House schedule. And if you’ve ever sat through any of the Congressional process, you’d notice that people are given a consistent amount of time by the Speaker, usually 5 minutes. And it goes back and forth until everyone scheduled to speak on both sides has used up their time. It’s difficult to skip steps without unanimous consent. And this is the easy part.

The Senate’s part is more directly described in the Constitution. They would have to schedule a trial, which includes having the House prosecute a case and presumably a defense have equal time to respond to the accusations.

I think a truncated process might not be seen as fair or legal by some. And could easily violate some unwritten principles of law if executed in a roughshod manner.

4 Likes

I’ve made it to about 187 and fading. But as Abramson is both an attorney and a journalist, I hope it makes it into the official record.

Update: I have been sharing the roll up link far and wide. I think this is very important in responding to what’s going on right now, which is that the key GOP figures who have been sucking up to Trump for the whole term including the post-election crazy train are now calling for “unity.” They could at the very least first demand that Trump acknowledge that Biden won the election.

The Pentagon, in their memo chronology of the failures to protect the capital, are referring to the event not as terrorism but as “the first amendment protest of January 6th.” This is a (dog whistlesque) attempt to rewrite history that occurred only in the past 100 hours or so by recasting the events as a protest against Big Tech who were intent on silencing free speech.

This effort by Seth Abramson is truly top notch. Nothing else comes close. The only thing I would add is in response to these two:
https://twitter.com/SethAbramson/status/1347995820474425345
https://twitter.com/SethAbramson/status/1347996134313177089
I won’t say he anticipated getting the boot, but he is wanting to secure his future right to continue to tweet what he’s saying in this speech, and more importantly, I think, he’s appealing to the many people in his cult who’ve at the time of the speech already been forced off of those platforms (Parler became the landing spot months ago right?).

11 Likes

“I’ll certify that right now!”

5 Likes