'Growing number' of GOP leaders say Trump must be removed from office now, and 25th Amendment must be invoked

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/06/growing-number-of-gop-leaders-say-trump-must-be-removed-from-office-now-and-25th-amendment-must-be-invoked.html

10 Likes

I think they’re just mad he went over the line and made them all look like exactly the seditious traitors desperate to hold onto power at any cost that they always have been.

56 Likes

I wonder which of those GOP leaders now calling for Trump to be removed were originally going to object to Biden’s electoral votes.

38 Likes

I’m a big fan of anything that precludes him from ever occupying an elected position again.

41 Likes

Pence and the cabinet have 24-hours to do this if they don’t want to go down in history as Fuhrerbunker dwellers. White House staffers are talking about Biff “losing his mind” and “ranting and raving” and “manic” and it’s clear that he supported the insurrectionists as a result of this derangement and denial of reality. Pence has finally learned how his gangster boss “rewards” his lackeys. It’s time.

39 Likes

Yeah, it’d be interesting to know what the overlap is. Anyone who wasn’t so craven as to go along with undermining democracy is also likely to have the barest molecule of courage required to want Trump out, but I could also see there being a contingent of those who were grudgingly supporting Trump’s undemocratic play out of political expediency, and are now really pissed they’ve been “tricked” into being associated with full-on sedition.

But on the other hand, any Republicans quietly trying for a 25th amendment solution are really trying to have their cake and eat it, too - it wouldn’t stop Trump from being a political force (nor run again), and they’d be offloading their responsibility for this onto Pence and the cabinet, so there’d be no blow-back onto them as long they didn’t go public about it.

9 Likes

Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers, Eastern Washington, we see you hiding behind your sudden reversal. Turn E. Washington BLUE!

15 Likes

It’ll never happen because something something Fifth Avenue.

2 Likes

Holy crap Lindsey Graham just gave an impassioned speech on the Senate floor pleading for his colleagues to recognize the outcome of the election. I’m not planning on forgiving him for the last four years or anything but still.

33 Likes

yeah… I’ll believe this when I see it. And probably not even then. The House should impeach him and the Senate should remove him and bar him from ever holding federal office again. Do it NOW, before he preemptively pardons his hellspawn…

11 Likes

The 25th is the wrong tool and a lot of the Republicans pushing it know that, hence the support. Assume for a second we can get all of the necessary people to vote in favor, we run face first into the second half of section 4 of the amendment.

Thereafter, when the President transmits to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives his written declaration that no inability exists, he shall resume the powers and duties of his office unless the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive department or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit within four days to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office. Thereupon Congress shall decide the issue, assembling within forty-eight hours for that purpose if not in session. If the Congress, within twenty-one days after receipt of the latter written declaration, or, if Congress is not in session, within twenty-one days after Congress is required to assemble, determines by two-thirds vote of both Houses that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, the Vice President shall continue to discharge the same as Acting President; otherwise, the President shall resume the powers and duties of his office.

The second the vote goes down, Trump simply has to submit in writing that he is okay and we end up with an even harder hurdle to clear than actual impeachment. The 25th keeps him out of power for hours, not a sustained period of time.

4 Likes

He’s proven over the last 4 years that he does not give a fuck up a cat’s ass for you, me, or anyone but himself. We all know he’s just trying to save his own skin now that the Dems are numerically effectively in control. I give him nothing for what’s he’s saying today — or ever, frankly.

17 Likes

To make himself look less like the Emperor’s piss boy. Even though he is, without a doubt, the Emperor’s piss boy.

14 Likes

That’s what jail is for.

10 Likes

VP can respond that he is unfit and then Congress has to vote within 21 days. Pelosi sticks it in her pocket for 14 days and he’s done.

20 Likes

No current Repub names forthcoming , non starter. They had their hissy fit, now,
run out the clock. He will EVENTUALLY fade, can’t stay in N.Y.C. and consequently
will lose assets there, will run to ground in FLA.

Will look to be paid/pardoned to go away~

Please don’t do that …

… but they will.

1 Like

Let me guess. The people in the executive branch are whispering impeachment and those in congress want the 25th amendment? Bunch of cowards and traitors all around.

6 Likes

The wording leaves sufficient ambiguity that unless the vote is completed he retains his power. We’re at the armed coup over fantasies stage of the problem, and getting into narrow parsing of the wording means he stays in. If we were operating on a more standard timeline to let the courts decide, that would be the most likely outcome, but not on a timescale shorter than two weeks.

1 Like

Which it is in the republicans’ best interest to forever bar him for running for office–something a Republican who would run for president in 2024 would enthusiastically support

6 Likes

Il Douche has never hidden his true identity from anyone. They knew exactly who he was when they rode his coattails into office, and they gerrymandered for him, and applauded and cheered his bullshit as long as it delivered the stupid, racist, misogynistic, and greedy votes they needed to cling to power. And now they’re ready to cut bait because the insurrectionists actually crossed the line the seditious bastard has been telling them to cross ever since the neo-Nazis marched with their tiki torches? There’s not enough road or time to backpedal their way out of this; and no forgiveness. The best they should hope for is for a few months of leniency for trying to quell the insurrection they started.

20 Likes