Ancient monuments then and now

If we were to emulate the Mayan sports methods in pro sports, re: win/lose, live/die, that would either take some of the shine off the games, or more likely, cause already insane salaries to spike dramatically, our sensationalist media would go into hyper gear, and the gene pool for any sport would collapse after a season or two. Better yet, it would be a solution to the proliferation of all those competition shows on TV.

And no, a bunch of neo-hippie ā€œdruidsā€ banging around Stonehenge on the solstice doesnā€™t count.

Why not? Stonehenge was a ā€œritual siteā€. I think that neo-hippie druids banging on drums count as ā€œritualā€.

2 Likes

gene pool?

Twenty years ago, the greatest cage match was held in Detroit Michigan. 80 men and women entered, and 40 men and women left. Today, here in London, their progeny have returned to fight as their parents did, in a battle to the death!

2 Likes

2 men enter, one man leaves!

1 Like

2 men enter. One man leaves
2 women enter. One women leaves.

one man and one women enter. one kid leaves?

1 Like

Actually, Iā€™ve always felt that we should use sports for their original purpose.

The winners all get drafted into the military.

2 Likes

Not to make a major issue of it, but could you please not put Druids in quotes? Also, should be capitalized the same as any other recognized faith group.

No more or less silly than any other religion, and no more or less deserving of the same respect.

One man enters. Two men leave.

Thunderclone

4 Likes

I was there around 2000, and you could climb it then. Itā€™s a lot more claustrophobic inside than the Great Pyramid in Egypt.

1 Like

What theyā€™re hiding is that the stones were really only 18" high, so it was easy for the dwarves to dance around them.

3 Likes

No one knows who they were or what they were doing
But their legacy remains
Hewn into the living rockā€¦ Of Stonehenge

2 Likes

I see President Obama as someone who has done so much to repair the damage done to America after eight years of Bush and his conservative administration. Have you really forgotten what a mess things were at the end of 2008- Bush should have been tarred and feathered, but he was allowed to sneak out of town, and the Republicans tried desperately to shift the blame onto the shoulders of President Obama. In spite of a deep well of irrational hatred directed at him, Obama has accomplished so much to fix things. I give him a lot of credit and I know history will show him to be one of the greats,.

1 Like

Seriously thoughā€¦ Is this not boingboing? People here used to get and appreciate sarcasmā€¦

1 Like

Trueā€¦ but Iā€™d push for requesting that all crazy beliefs be surrounded by mockery quotation marks. My respect isnā€™t zero - itā€™s less than zero.

1 Like

Itā€™s OK dudeā€¦ some of us can still recognise it.

People get so touchy about anything perceived to be a swipe at their team. Eric & Supr have only a few comments each, which is probably partly why they donā€™t know that we joke about these things here. That pesky grey colourā€¦ why canā€™t everything be black or white?

2 Likes

How many leaves if two trees enter?

4 Likes

You are under no obligation to respect other peopleā€™s beliefs. You are obligated to respect other people.

If someone used mocking quotes to describe your ethnicity or lifeā€™s work or sexual orientation, youā€™d find it offensive. Seriously- If someone on this board deliberately put a transgendered personā€™s chosen pronouns in quotes, most people here would be pissed.

I donā€™t care one bit what you think of anyoneā€™s religion. I only ask that you respect the fact that they view it as an important part of their identity.

1 Like

Nice screed. As youā€™ll see in the post I actually made, I was criticising the beliefs not the person. What you go on to suggest is that by criticising the beliefs, I am indirectly criticising the person. Thatā€™s fine for you to believe, but I donā€™t accept it because it limits my ability to express how much of a waste of time and how damaging religion can be. I will criticise as stupid those who deny AGW because their baseless opinion is holding up progress on the matter. I see religion as the same.

Religion once served a use in world without education and without direction. Now we can cast off these dated institutions as they only serve to divide and waste the time and resources of progress. Almost every religion claims itself to be the one true religion and while most of them have learned to coexist, none of them really see believers of other faiths - particularly non-believers - as true equals. When religion gets out of the beds and governments of the world I will respect it. Since these things will never happen, donā€™t hold your breath. There are damaging, deluded dogmas in all religions. If a person believes in any religion I am not going to try to change that, but they also have to know that many people consider their beliefs ridiculous. They have to understand that and respect the beliefs of others with the same ferocity that they insist on respect for their own.

Your middle paragraph is full of false equivalencies because you listed ethnicity and sexual orientation as if they were comparable things. Ethnicity is not chosen or changeable. Sexual orientation is not chosen or changeable. Religion can be chosen and is changeable. Religious institutions behave as if they and their beliefs deserve automatic respect, while simultaneously disrespecting non-believers and the human rights of homosexuals.

1 Like

Not without offending your god.

1 Like

hahaha I see what you did there!

Imaginary feelings donā€™t count :wink: