Georgia Guidestone update: "Satanic monument struck down by God"

Originally published at: Georgia Guidestone update: "Satanic monument struck down by God" | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Literally Taliban shit right there.

EDIT: This is not (supposed to be) a commentary on Islam. There are many, many, many Muslim movements / organizations / governments which do not stoop to destroying monuments belonging to other cultures. It just so happens that the Taliban is most strongly associated in my memory with the act of using explosives to destroy monuments. Is this not something they have done on several occasions? Isn’t at least one of the instances of their doing this on video? Or is my brain making shit up again?

14 Likes

No. Stop blaming white christian fascists, who have been around for literally decades prior to any similar movement among Muslims, ON brown people. Just stop.

32 Likes

No it isn’t. This has NOTHING TO DO WITH ISLAM.

Do better.

15 Likes

Vandalism or … < inches away slowly >

4 Likes

Kenan Thompson No GIF by Saturday Night Live

8 Likes

“God can do anything.”

Why did it take an all-powerful deity 40 years to destroy a monument that took a couple days to erect?

28 Likes

“Mysterious Ways.”

20 Likes

The reality is that the thing was put up by a white supremacist who believed that we were on the verge of nuclear annihilation (being 1980, with the end of detente not that long prior) that would seriously impact the number of human beings on this planet. He was clearly trying to have a set of messages (that included his eugencist beliefs) that post-apocalypse generations could use as a guide for rebuilding. Still full of eugenicists BS.

20 Likes

Yet, oddly, chose not to help her win the primary…

Suspicious Weighing Options GIF by Law & Order

27 Likes

So blowing things up is an act of God?

4 Likes

God can’t stop someone from shooting up a school, parade, or church, but He’s just all-powerful against rocks.

19 Likes

Why isn’t the -actual- FBI investigating this?! Isn’t this an act of terrorism? Or is it “just” an act of vandalism? Honestly want to know.

2 Likes

Because it was on private property in GA, so it’s under the jurisdiction of the GBI, until there is some sort of proof that this is connected to something larger that would fall under the jurisdiction of the FBI.

10 Likes

I wish! How do you think we got Omicron?

In reality, neither does the Taliban.

8 Likes

21 Likes

“The Taliban, which also refers to itself by the name of its state, the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan, is a Deobandi Islamic fundamentalist, militant Islamist, and jihadist political movement in Afghanistan.”

Nah, I’m pretty sure they’re Muslims.

6 Likes

That’s why churches never get hit by lightening. :wink:

3 Likes

This is another pretty tricky thing that I’m really loath to get into - who gets to make the decision about how is or isn’t of a particular faith? As a non-Muslim raised by Christians, and having almost no experience with Islam prior to reading Malcolm X, I see no reason that I should be the person to decide who or who isn’t a “proper” Muslim. And really, I feel the same about Christians, since I’m not really that either. These are faiths that are shot through with debates about what it means to be the thing, and as someone with no real skin in the game, do I get to impose my own beliefs (however well informed they might be) on others? Doesn’t seem fair to me. I can certainly reject people’s actions as being inconsistent with a free and equitable society, as I do have skin in that game here in the US. I can even make some general judgments about the freedom of Afghans under the Taliban. But it seems to me that living and letting live is a far better way to go about my life, as well as attempting to respect people’s beliefs as long as it doesn’t impact me or mine.

11 Likes

What therefore man hath joined together, let not god put asunder.