Ancient relics swiped by Hobby Lobby are headed home to Iraq

That’s kind of a given, at least in my book; HL’s owners are no more “Xtian” than I am a real vampire.

8 Likes

13 Likes

The origin and nature of the artifact doesn’t really matter. What matters is what you write on the little plaque next to the artifact. I doubt most people going through the Hobby Lobby bible museum could tell the difference.

6 Likes

Came here for this. Thrilled someone said it!

I realize I already posted this link…

… but when is that dang TV show gonna air?

It’s bad enough that we are already living inside a the prequel to Idiocracy. Now Hobby Lobby’s adding Snow Crash to our IRL experience. I object to these competing narratives. Makes me long for the world depicted in the British pilot of Max Headroom: 20 minutes into the future

Next up: Anathem is actually a documentary. In 3, 2, 1…

2 Likes

Hobby Lobby has some insanely great sale coupons, but I refuse to shop there (when I’m out of my area; there are none to date near Portland) because of their squalid religious/employment practices.

Having to return their ill-gotten artifacts is good.

What would have been better was a howling vortex of roiling clouds lit by purple lightning appears over Hobby Lobby HQ, the executive and his adult family members are turned inside out while trying to flee shadow-cloaked figures as an unearthly choirs chants arcane blasphemies, and the plaques mysteriously appear back in Iraq all on their own.

10 Likes

17_abbadon

3 Likes

Call me crazy, but I doubt that Hobby Lobby was paying Isis to loot museums so they can have thousands of pre-biblical Mesopotamian clay tablets with magic spells in order to have better museum displays.

3 Likes

This is a crime committed by Hobby Lobby President Steve Green whose company will write off the fine while he goes free. Wealth and corporation protected criminality at it’s most disgusting. Especially since it was well publicized at the time that such money was going directly to fund terrorists and insurgents killing American military. The full story: http://longnow.org/seminars/02014/feb/24/unlooting-civilizations-treasures-wartime-iraq/

6 Likes

Yeah. They have a lot of stuff I could find useful in my crafty endeavors and cheap holiday decor (except for halloween, the one time I went in there looking for something halloweeny, they had nothing)… but I refuse to shop there. I have in the past, before I knew about their bullshit. But now I know and I have a Joanns nearby, so I don’t ever go to Hobby lobby.

1 Like

Well isn’t that interesting? You can conspire, loot, bribe, and do all sorts of illegal things like treason just as long as you can convince people that your company did it rather than actual people. Then, if you get caught, you can just pay off the justice department in the form of a fine and spend zero time in jail.

6 Likes

LOVED that book! Thanks for the giggle.

Who is Raven in this tale, do you think?
Raven

2 Likes

Damn. I wish my boycott of Hobby Lobby would cause them some harm. But I’ve never been there so they won’t notice the difference.

3 Likes

I’m surprised that Hobby Lobby did not claim a religious exemption especially if they could argue it in the 5th Circuit to which Trmp has just appointed Kyle Duncan, their lawyer in the case that allowed them to claim religious exemption from providing birth control.

I mean, really, how badly does the Federal government have to persecute fine, upstanding Christians before they fight back? /snark

1 Like

5 Likes

The People’s Eyebrow, Dwayne Johnson, might do well in that role.

2 Likes

Hobby Lobby gets out of paying for contraceptives for their employees because it’s such an important religious belief to them…

… but Thou Shalt Not Steal gets a pass?

8 Likes

One would assume Jason Momoa

2 Likes

Yr…you’re…not?

:(:disappointed:

4 Likes

sounds like the summing up for raiders of the lost ark

1 Like

But the religious shirts get clean so easily! That’s why they say, “wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow”!

Of course not, that’s silly. Isis was Egyptian.

4 Likes