Justice Department sues Hobby Lobby over thousands of looted Iraqi artifacts it bought

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/07/05/justice-department-sues-hobby.html

2 Likes

I guess Hobby Lobby has a Jayne’s addiction.

Maybe they are looking for the SnowCrash virus.

14 Likes

Justice Department sues Hobby Lobby over thousands of looted Iraqi artifacts it bought

But Hobby Slobby are good Christians? The injusticeness is bigly…

20 Likes

This is shitty to do, but at least they are in one more-or-less recoverable place.

3 Likes

“Mistakes were made”

accitentionally.

24 Likes

The true capitalist move would be to underpay workers to create reproduction tablets and sell them in store in hopes people going looking for the artifacts will buy them. You know, to cover legal fees.

9 Likes

When Hobby Lobby imports its artifacts, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending rattan ottomans. They’re not sending rhinestone beads. They’re sending things that have lots of problems and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing looted artifacts, they’re bringing mummies, they are lobbyists, and some, I assume, are good bric-à-brac. We need a total and complete shutdown of Hobby Lobby imports entering the United States until our country’s representatives can figure out what the hell is going on.

31 Likes

So wait - were theses for the stores or something else? Because I’ve seen very cheaply and poorly made home decor, but never something like this.

2 Likes

Warning: Please don’t hold your breath.

4 Likes

These people are sufficiently wealthy that this is merely eccentric behavior.

5 Likes

Okay, so way before the I knew about it’s anti-choice stance, I went into a hobby lobby… It’s basically a cut-rate Michaels or Joannes. What they hell were they doing with these things?

17 Likes

Private collection:

These tablets, like the other 40,000 or so ancient artifacts owned by the Green family, were destined for the Museum of the Bible, the giant new museum funded by the Greens, slated to open in Washington, D.C., in 2017.

Inquiring minds are wondering about the looters / smugglers in “United Arab Emirates and Israel”.

19 Likes

“It seems unlikely that this case, however, is one of simply misunderstanding the relevant laws. The paperwork misidentifying the antiquities as “tile samples” certainly suggests otherwise.”

17 Likes

Well at least it was going to a museum - but it should probably be returned to Iraq if they were looted. Sounds like they should have known better from the “too good to be true” prices.

There was rampant looting during the beginning of the war. I read about museum workers taking and hiding some artifacts. I am sure looters got stuff, and sold it to who had money in neighboring areas. Might make in interesting movie someday.

3 Likes

Oh dear. I thought that figurine I bought for the glitter paint and sequin workshop looked a bit like the ancient Mesopotamian deity Ereshkigal.

19 Likes

Wait, so when douche bags at a bank do lousy things, illegal things, they don’t go to jail because it was the bank and supposedly not the officers.

But when the douche bags at Hobby Lobby do something illegal that has nothing to do with their business, the douche bags are not arrested because they used their corporation to do the illegal stuff?

This looks really fucked up from here.

32 Likes

You joke, but I thought about going by real quick to make sure there wasn’t cuneiform tablet I could use to protect my wood coffee table.

6 Likes

they must be Ashurbanipal’s with the right people, or thought they were.

Also, buying looted artifacts is a pretty crap Hobby.

6 Likes

My new favorite word of the day.

8 Likes

Funny, I thought literally the exact same damn thing last time I went to a Hobby Lobby. (Was out of town, Mrs Ficus needed some emergency crafting supplies, and there weren’t any better options.) Given how shitty those other two stores are, that says a lot.

7 Likes