...and a dreadful flying glove!

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/01/and-a-dreadful-flying-glove.html

7 Likes

Also Tony Stark’s nickname for Nebula.

9 Likes

I’m assuming “Blue Meanie” not “Dreadful Flying Glove”?
…which sounds like a really bad Kung Fu translation.

9 Likes

Childhood Memory at 5: Playing “Apple Bonkers,” with best friend.

6 Likes

“That’s funny, you don’t look bluish!”

8 Likes

Kid’s troop: having fun with the available insignias (racoon face => trash pandas, etc.). Nice thing about Scouting: finding the troop that matches your vibe (and budget)

2 Likes

Part of it was likely the most available patches came from a Military Surplus store. While the troop had a surprising number of guys go on to service, the vast majority did not. I learned to camp, I learned team work, I learned basic first aid and what I’d call citizenship from the scouts.

I mean my parents made me an honest and kind person. The scouts taught me the value of volunteerism, conservation, and participation in society.

Also some keen knots and a few dirty tricks. The carbide canon remains a favorite.

1 Like

One wall of my bedroom when I was young was a Yellow Submarine poster, and my car has been the Blue Meanie for almost 15 years now!

6 Likes

giphy

4 Likes

Heh. My old troop had two patrols - one was the Wizards, and the other was the Flaming Bananas. I would have totally been down for Blue Meanies tho.

3 Likes

“Thing of beauty–destroy it forever!”

1 Like

4 Likes

Now, we are too. And we know both @jlw and @Chaz1 can trip without being under the influence of illegal (or recently legalised) substances.

I fondly remember The First Viewing…

1 Like

Nowadays I would hate to be a Blue Meanie, mainly because of Ingress and my deep ties to the Enlightened community. Green forever, blue never!

Funny how a game can be so life-changing. :frog:

These guys, and the Snapping Turtle Turks, were my favorite baddies in that war. George Martin’s orchestral arrangements still sing in my head.

It’s amazing how we have such remarkably equivalent avatars in government today. Except for the Orange Meany’s color. The teeth match, however.

In my boy scout troop… [w]hen I became a patrol leader I named my gaggle of scouts “The Blue Meanies.” Only I was amused.

At Ten Mile River Camp, our troop once sang the Yellow Submarine song around a bonfire. Our troop was cool… in some ways.

I can’t express the disappointment I felt as a child when I learned that The Beatles did NOT provide the voices for their cartoon-ized characters. I kept thinking, “Why?!”

1 Like

Literal translation of Chinese term for colonoscopy?

2 Likes

“Aye’ve got a 'ole in me pockit.”

“O-BLUE-terate them!”