And Whatabout Your Black People...?

Yes, that’s it. Opens with a helicopter flight over miles of land, I think in Alaska, owned by the kooky robot maker.

6 Likes

Worth a look? The ads seemed creepy to me.

6 Likes

Hmm. I suppose? I won’t give away the ending, but I found that part satisfying. And the robots, while definitely cast to satisfy the “male gaze,” are creepy in intriguing ways.

6 Likes

I liked that movie. You get to see Oscar Isaac dance like a weirdo! I also liked how the male gaze is actually explored, rather than it being just iCandy robot girls.

10 Likes

Yeah, i can see that. I think in retrospect, the guy candy aspect overshadowed better elements, even the ending (which smacked to me of, btw, a sequel nod).

Should watch again!

6 Likes

I’m now considering it for my Saturday Night Movie!

6 Likes

Spoilers for those who havent seen the dance:

ex-machina-dance-gif-5

9 Likes

I enjoyed Ex Machina thoroughly.

The male gaze was not only dissected, but exploited.

10 Likes

Ouch.

homer simpson surgery GIF

9 Likes

As they have been telling us women-folk since time out of mind:

Use what you’ve got to get what you want.

9 Likes

Watched again last night and I agree!

Better than I remembered. Dudely hubris gets its richly deserved comeuppance.

Lots of parallels of course with Ishiguro’s Never Let Me Go and Klara and the Sun.

I wondered yesterday about a sequel and it looks like there won’t be one, at least with Garland writing and directing. Apparently some see his next flick, Annihilation, as sort of one, but i haven’t seen it.

11 Likes

I remember being surprised at how good it was; far better than I expected.

12 Likes

I too watched it last night. It really is a horror movie and yes, it is really good.

I have seen Annihilation and it is pretty good but also really gross in places. My brain is remembering more gross bits than plot bits but I remember mostly enjoying it.

@Melizmatic On a rewatch it is even better. You, the viewer, knows what is coming but those guys… they’re not so smart. They really do not see it coming until it is too late.

9 Likes

Heh, not so smart at all! And not so noble either, in their personal displays of masculine vigor. A lot of that was funny to me this time around, like the boxing and weightlifting, finished off with a robot-assisted wank. And our hero’s white-knighting efforts, which do little more than knock him off his high horse. :laughing:

Thanks for the warning about Annihilation, not sure I’ll try to get past the grossness. Eep!

10 Likes

So manly, so wrong… :unamused:

Maybe just don’t eat while watching? :woman_shrugging:t3: It has a cast of women with a little bit of Oscar Isaac for a treat and its pretty good thinky-sci-fi.

9 Likes

9 Likes

WTUF?

(Sometimes, an adjective such as ‘utter’ is required when things are well past the WTF stage.)

15 Likes

I’ll bet that even now some CIA capitalist running dog is preparing some sort of propaganda based on some socially constructed shit like “human” rights.

The needs of the individual matter not to the needs of society.

5 Likes

Center for Professional [Useful] Idiots?

7 Likes

Who the hell is this asshole? No, that sounds like i care.

ass hole GIF

That’s better.

7 Likes