André 3000 releases first solo album in almost 20 years, and it's full of flute instrumentals

Originally published at: André 3000 releases first solo album in almost 20 years, and it's full of flute instrumentals | Boing Boing

1 Like

No explanation? This interview was published last week:

He can do whatever music he likes. I think I wrote about it in the music thread.

10 Likes

Good for him.

I mean that sincerely.

We’ve been talking about this at work for the last two weeks, and while it seemed funny at first, it seems natural when you think about what it means to be a creative artist getting older, growing in your craft, maybe getting bored with the earlier you.

8 Likes

Leslie Jones and Jordan Klepper did a bit on the new album that was funny…

“Andrew 3000” LOL!

But yeah, I listened to the first track and it sounds beautiful.

8 Likes

“It’s okay, André. You’re forgiven.”

Forgiven for what, exactly? Were you…disappointed?

Holy crap I literally have tears in my eyes from laughing so hard. Leslie Jones’ delivery is perfect. “You all done turned André 3000 into JETHRO TULL!!!”

2 Likes

It was a response to the song title, not disappointment that he didn’t make an album we’d expect…

Simpsons Thats The Joke GIF

I would not be unhappy if she became the full time host of the show, honestly. I’ve always loved her.

leslie jones snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

7 Likes

ok sure I guess. But I don’t get it. The title doesn’t seem apologetic. It isn’t seeking forgiveness. Declarative? Yes. Statement of fact to provide backdrop/context? Yes. Sorry about it? not really.

“I swear, I Really Wanted To Make A “Rap” Album But This Is Literally The Way The Wind Blew Me…”

:woman_shrugging:

Again… hence the “you’re forgiven” joke… I don’t think anyone is really disappointed, because Andre 3000…

Bouncing Road Trip GIF by Outkast

5 Likes

I don’t know about that. Most of the flute playing sounds like synth to my ear (although I could certainly be wrong). That doesn’t make it bad, it is just that I’m not certain that it is a solid comparison. That said, the first track isn’t bad, nice background music for working I suppose.

The key is, Andre 3000 is in a place where he can record and release whatever makes him happy and THAT is pretty awesome. Not enough people can simply pursue whatever creative endeavor they choose. It is certainly something to aspire to.

5 Likes

I believe he’s a pretty thoughtful dude. I was at a table on the set of American Crime, talking to one of the other extras, and Andre quietly slips in and stands at a table behind us, reading a book alone. I can’t remember the title, but it was a philosophical text for sure.

8 Likes

Yeah, I took it in as spare and unaccented and like I didn’t want 300 more listens to make up my mind again, on the case. Also, I guess Outkast Records would be the release agent?

1 Like

Multi-talented. If you’ve got it flaut it.

8 Likes

I mean…he’s not the only flautist in hip-hop. There is precedent.

4 Likes

…And my 15 year old godson has requested this album on vinyl for Christmas. Andre 3000’s back, baby!

4 Likes

Right, and there was an NPR interview last week as well. Dude loves the flute, owns like 35 of them. It’s the first melodic instrument humans invented. It sounds like the human voice. Etc.

3 Likes

It is a wind controlled synth and it was pretty new to him at the time of recording. In the article above they talk a lot about Alice Coltrane and famous minimalists, all of whom I love, but Laraaji, Riley, Oliveiros, and Radigue strike me as more appropriate. And I’m a big fan of all the mentioned so that’s not in any way a dis.

4 Likes

I watched an interview he did with GQ a couple of days ago and it covers a lot of his thoughts on the new album

I’ve also been talking about this with my SO, who is a massive Outkast fan. She’s very disappointed that it’s not what she expected, though she understands that he’s making something that isn’t forced and is exciting to him. He doesn’t need fame or money, so retreading a well worn path is pointless so i get it. I listened to the first track on the album and it’s not for me, but as long as he’s proud of his work that’s all that matters.

5 Likes

Ah, that explains it and makes perfect sense. I wasn’t even aware that a wind-controlled synth was even a thing, which explains my puzzlement at it sounding mostly synth, but still having moments of “breathy-ness”. How absolutely neat!

I had no idea he was such a flute enthusiast, which makes this even cooler overall.

1 Like

There’s all kinds of wind based synths, but a youtuber/musician i really like briefly covered how one of them works. It’s a good watch

2 Likes