Angry Christians riot and throw firebomb at a museum that exhibits 'McJesus' sculpture

Just wait for the exhibition featuring pictures of Mohammed.

5 Likes

Wow these so-called “Christians” sure hate Jesus!

Christ comes in many forms, oh ye of little faith, and while Jesus of Nazareth fed 5000, McJesus can claim “billions and billions served,”

17 Likes

It got a great review in a Vatican newspapers apparently. But fundamentalist mobs don’t want people to seriously and critically think about religion, even from a pious perspective. This seems to me like a piece of art that a serious Christian could appreciate.

7 Likes

“Let he who is without sin cast the first Molotov Cocktail.”

13 Likes

These are truly the philistines who cannot appreciate art…

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sad gets my vote. This is the kind of work that sophomore sculpture students produce. If you go to the opening, someone will strip off and dance in a circle around a pig’s head on a hook, while intoning a passage from The Jungle.* If folks are going to get upset about art, why not make it something worthwhile?

* Witnessed that personally, or something very like it, less the crucified clown.

8 Likes
7 Likes

Well, it IS offensive. It is designed to be on one level, despite what the sheet says. Considering what the intention is supposed to be - society’s cult-like worship of capitalism - the juxtaposition wouldn’t work unless half of it is using what one would consider sacred. Something like a Star of David made of dollar signs or made to look like a Pepsi logo could be both offensive, but making a social statement as well.

I say this having created a tithe box with three sculpey figures drowning in fake money (a Christian, a Jew, and an atheist) in college. I thought I was being edgy too, LOL. So obviously fire bombing art you don’t like isn’t acceptable.

Would Christians in general benefit from preparation H?

Is there an ethnic dimension to this? I’m guessing most Christians in Israel are Israeli Arab or Palestinians, and if IIRC it’s not unknown for the more extreme anti-Arab types to use religious parody as deliberately provocative insult:e.g. depicting the Virgin Mary as a cow, calculatedly offensive to both Christians and Muslims.

I’m not accusing the museum of doing this, nor seeking to excuse the rioters, but it might explain some of the sensitivity.

5 Likes

As I recall Pontius Pilate asked those gathered if they would like to release Jesus, who has been called your king, and they said no we want to release Ronald McDonald and can we order a mixed Team box menu please.

So they’re obviously upset because the sculpture is implying that instead Jesus was released and Ronald McDonald was crucified in his place when their sacred texts have it the exact opposite way around.

1 Like

Is this what you were thinking of?

11 Likes

In the interview the curator said the artist was a Christian themselves.

2 Likes

14 Likes

Outrage yes, but no firebombs, I think.

1 Like

Crazy artists. Mixing the profane with the sacred. Next thing you know, McD’s burgers will end up being served in the White House!

3 Likes

Angry Christians: We don’t like the image of McJesus you’re showing. What do you think we ought to do about it?

Bill Hicks: Forgive me? :smirk:

He is not the messias, he is a very mcnaughty boy.

Eh, I tried.

4 Likes

Religion of peace.

In the US it would be death threats, bomb threats, guns and someone going into the gallery and smashing it up. At least, that’s what’s happened in the past.

That’s not the quote. It’s “Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. Sinners can use Molotov cocktails.”

4 Likes

Oh my god, you found the clip?!? I heard him tell that story, but I’ve never seen the clip… I’ll have to watch this later on.

5 Likes