Arts commissioner enraged over Mark Ryden's work in Virginia Beach's Museum of Contemporary Art

[Read the post]

4 Likes

Hell, I bet that back in the Middle Ages there wouldnā€™t have been this kind of outcry. There was an appreciation of the grotesque and the absurd.

Modern christians are a bunch of titty-babies.

26 Likes

Corpus Christi, what an asshole.

37 Likes

Obviously she feels she can do what she wants with taxpayer money. Not on my watch.ā€

Cue the Benghazi witch hunt, me thinks.

15 Likes

Yeah, the irony was that in the Middle Ages, there were artists whose job it was to go around and mock things, including the Church, much less artists creating their own, idiosyncratic, grotesque versions of religious scenes.

8 Likes

Obviously she feels she can do what she wants with taxpayer money. Not on my watch.ā€

That is a pity. I would like to see the resulting decorated watch. Perhaps a petition is in order.

13 Likes

I recall Virginia Beach being a very dull and overly restricted place. They want to be a fun beach town but without the Spring Break wild parties and public intoxication. They even have a stupid fucking ordinance that outlaws god damn swearing on their shitty ass boardwalk.

So this kind of reaction to art from an arts commissioner doesnā€™t seem out of place there.

9 Likes

The guyā€™s name is Loyola? Seriously?

7 Likes

I think those are ferrets, not rats. Regardless, itā€™s always hilarious to see an outraged Christian who thinks theyā€™re somehow ā€œoff limitsā€ from criticism and satire of their religion. No, honey. Your invisible sky friend doesnā€™t make you better than everyone else, believe it or not.

32 Likes

Allow me to quote everyone who has ever said anything offensive in the US:

Freedom. Of. Speech.

[quote]
Loyola countered, ā€œIā€™m responding to her false claim. Obviously she feels she can do what she wants with taxpayer money. [/quote]

You mean like the religious right and certain other groups seem to think that they can???

26 Likes

Artwork that causes a bureaucratā€™s monocle to pop out?

Ooh, Iā€™m intrigued now!

*looks*

*not disappointed*

14 Likes

I wonder why no one mentioned the sausages. Wonder what they think they mean? Also the fact that they have a knife on the table. I guess we will have to wait until they finish and tell us what it all means. Silly me, I first thought it was a take off of Carroll, but what do I know, Iā€™m not a priest.

3 Likes

Iā€™m still looking for that shower of blood, evidence that the teapot isnā€™t dispensing Red Zinger, which part of the dress screams ā€œfirst communion,ā€ and how the heck we know this is anti-anything rather than pro. A ham bearing the name of the Texas town where it was presumably made is not, by itself, a very good reason to grouse about a generally cute picture unless the hams from there have a reputation for not being very good.

7 Likes

To be fair, the tea saucer reads ā€˜Sanguine Christi,ā€™ so there may be something to this artwork incorporating religious ideology into the composition.

That being said, I still donā€™t care if it does; art is subjective and often provocative.

21 Likes

FTFY.

Awhile back, a friend had one of those ā€œVirginia is for loversā€ bumper stickers, with the ā€œvā€ in lovers replaced by an ā€œsā€ from a donor sticker.

Went to public school in VA. Ecch.

2 Likes

Obligatory Bosch!

12 Likes

Heā€™s not a full time asshole, apparently.

But I donā€™t think heā€™s in the right this time. The U.S. has never been a Christian nation; itā€™s been a nation that respects all viewpoints and the freedom to express them without the government championing a single religion. Or at least, thatā€™s the ideal it sometimes falls short of.

8 Likes

FTFY

:slight_smile:

4 Likes

If they donā€™t want to be offended, donā€™t go to the exhibit!! Problem solved!

12 Likes

Thatā€™s different you know!! Weā€™re protecting the children!!!

-religious right.

5 Likes