Angry Christians riot and throw firebomb at a museum that exhibits 'McJesus' sculpture

Well, obviously, this is not meant to be taken literally.

2 Likes

Something about this art piece reminds me of the time Ronald served the multitudes with just one bag of Quarter Pounders and a few Filet-O-Fish.

10 Likes

That would have happened somewhere along Hadrian’s Wall, in some alternate universe.

1 Like

Also, museums in Israel are very careful not to offend the majority religion.

1 Like

A high colonic would work better, methinks.

1 Like

I’m hungry. I hope McDonald Trump invites me over for some hamberders.

Agreed. Art, by definition is supposed to engage the viewer emotionally on some level. It just so happens that this happens to offend a specific subset of people. I see what the artist was going for and as someone who appreciates art, I find it fascinating.
But I feel like any Christian being so offended that they have to resort to throwing molotov cocktails isn’t worthy of being called a Christian. It simply goes against all of Jesus’ teachings.

And even having said that I’d hate to think what would’ve happened if he had somehow used the Islamic faith. I don’t think there’s a single person in the entire world that has balls big enough to go there.

1 Like

Funny, I would think Christians, out of anybody, would agree with the message that society putting capitalism and consumerism over religion is bad. I guess they really hate their own faith?

Oh, wait. That would require them to actually think about what the artist is trying to express, instead of just “Jesus go on cross- clown not Jesus! Art BAD! Smash!!”

7 Likes

Clearly following Matthew 5:41a:

3 Likes

Just like Jesus would have wanted.

2 Likes

And that is how I learned not to go to art student gallery openings… (except my experience included a not so attractive naked guy slapping all sorts of luncheon meats all over himself).

3 Likes

I wonder if the artist would consider releasing an STL so those with 3D printers can help spread the McWord.

3 Likes

You should see what they charge for a Big Mac at the Vatican
Edit: It’s 8 euros

Vatican City gets 33,000 euros a Month in rent for the McD’s there.
So it’s close to half a million dollars a year the clown pays to the One True Church to lease out that space.

3 Likes

So, what about Rachel Welch crucified?

Christian’s and clergy are sure giving Christianity a bad wrap as of late.

Sounds like a good call, SF. Or, if not ethnic, cultural. Western art like this poses a big problem for honour/shame cultures (try doing it with Mohammad to test this theory).
Everyone should read Jonathan Haidt’s The Righteous Mind.

What did poor little Pikachu do to deserve that?! :rage:

Is it wrong that I’m kind of jealous, as I wish I could create art which would cause people to riot over it?

Also, my initial interpretation wasn’t that the Ronald McDonald on the cross was commenting on people’s worship of capitslism, but I thought it was commenting on how Christianity is currently too much like a corporate franchise and the spiritual nutrition one receives from a modern Christian Church leaves much to still be desired. Like the nutrition in McDonald’s foods during the era Ronald McDonald was used by the company.

… I have a tendency to over think things, but it seems like the streets would run red if that actually was the artist’s intent. So luckily the artist doesn’t think like me.

I think both are equally valid, a big part of it as what a viewer brings to their own interpretation and i would say that your take on isn’t wrong. I suppose this might make a religious person extra uncomfortable because they would know it to be true deep down.

Yeah. Mobs in the US are usually pretty peaceful.

Well, the issue isn’t “art”, it’s “religion.”
Albeit, “religion” isn’t ever “religion,” it’s tribalism, which subsumes racism.

2 Likes