Christians censor monoliths, vandalizing property and tearing down monuments

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/12/08/christians-censor-monoliths-vandalizing-property-and-tearing-down-monuments.html

6 Likes

Well I’m all for traditional values. Is crucifying them going too far?

25 Likes

Crossing the Rube-icon?

15 Likes

This is probably what it must have been like in 1st and 2nd century CE, with young christians tearing down pagan monuments left and right, once they had primacy. christianity doesn’t play well with others.

15 Likes

Some fuckers keep on putting unwanted crosses on the top of mountains in Ireland*. I think one of them was "vandalised " and reinstated some time ago. So I guess I get the Christians’ annoyance in one way. I mean I hate their junk polluting the scenery.

As previously said I’m perfectly cool about it if someone says the word mountain doesn’t apply to anything in * Ireland and that they are mere hills.

8 Likes

I just finished Pagan Britain by Ronald Hutton. I can’t remember his exact argument, but he did argue – convincingly, for me – that the Christian transformation of the landscape was a lot more peaceful than that in early Christian Britain, from the Roman era up until the modern era, when things do get a bit dicey.

I’m not offering this as a counter to your observation. But it was an interesting read. I do myself have a bone to pick with Christian apologists/hagiographers who really play(ed) up the persecution narrative while masking their own misbehavior, especially as that narrative licenses a lot of contemporary misbehavior.

4 Likes

The people who think they’re being attacked in some kind of culture war are the ones actually waging a culture war.

29 Likes

Umm… Thou shalt not steal? not covet anything that is thy neighbors?

That’s at least two of your own top ten, dear christians…

15 Likes

Could be worse…

15 Likes

Don’t give them any ideas!!

14 Likes

From my observations, it appears that one can never go “too far” when it comes to christianity.

7 Likes

They’re just partaking a long Christian tradition of destroying art.

6 Likes

Home town pendant here. Atascadero is a city in San Luis (pronounced lewis) Obispo County which is about 15 mins north of San Luis Obispo city.

4 Likes

Ah. How so very Christian of them…

Pagan monument? Good money says every one of these Goobers has (or will have) a Christmas Tree in their residence.

Don’t know if JC said word one re: monoliths. The OT says something about stealing, though. Again, how so very Christian of them to ignore the parts of their holy book that they don’t like.

How so special these lads are! To be selected by their heroes for this mission!
And to think there are millions of these Loons running around loose…

15 Likes

Given Haim Eshed’s revelations about a galactic federation and a secret underground base on Mars alien monoliths sounds more and more plausible. Also please note that Robert Charles Wilson clearly saw all of this coming 20 years ago (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chronoliths).

3 Likes

I feel like putting up art to piss off self-righteous Christian censors should be a bigger deal. The fact it gets torn down is secondary. Making them waste their time is part of the fun, maybe even the point, and if enough of these things are erected then resistance will become futile. If anyone is aware of plans for how to build and install one to spec, please share widely.

3 Likes

ds9-sisko-eyeroll|nullxnull

9 Likes

They still think that story is an instruction manual.

My understanding is that Christianity’s biggest enemy throughout most of history was other Christians. Pagans may get forcefully converted, but heretics get tortured and executed.

8 Likes

Yeah. I just bored the crap out of my kids last week with a brief lecture on the topic of “It’s too bad that Augustine beat out Pelagius, otherwise Christians might be a lot more chill.”

4 Likes