Angry dudes are downranking woman-oriented TV shows on review sites

The question I have is this. Is there confirmation that the “dudebros” are in fact grown men ages 30-49 who have a brain and use it? Or are these “dudebros” in fact 13-23 yr old immature trolls?

I guess my point is, as a 42 yr old; I found Sex in the City to be a good show overall, and even if I hadn’t I wouldn’t have wasted my time going to IMDB to down vote it unless I truly found it to be garbage. And even then…I just can’t justify the time sink.I’d like to consider myself to be fairly average and representative of my age group.

But I can absolutely see a moronic 13-23 yr old man child with the power of the internet at his disposal and a growing sense of entitlement feeling the need to just troll for trolls sake. No?

I guess my ultimate point is, I don’t like painting a broad stroke for anyone.

2 Likes

I don’t think anyone thinks there’s a conspiracy, it’s just an interesting observation. The cross section who has the most time on their hands is notably annoyed by the existence of certain media properties.

6 Likes

I’d imagine the requirement to have a paid account for some of these services would point to more of the former than the latter.

3 Likes

Or ignore them. I assume it’s pr flacks and parents and pals who put up those reviews in the first place…or rivals wanting to knock the competition…too many times, the is some sort of angle that has nothing to do with the actual show in question…or maybe I am just too jaded…

2 Likes

A fair point and quite possibly the case, but not definitive.

I would also add, are the ratings on IMDB or anywhere else any real measure of the quality of something; vs perhaps just being a guideline?

I mean I know for me I would rate Farscape as the greatest show ever made, so much that I have ink of the show’s logo on my body. Really, I am obsessive about the show. But I do not expect everyone to like it and have found people who say they hated it. Doesn;t change my opinion one way or the other.

2 Likes

Why does this seem somehow apposite?

Seems to be guys deciding their opinions are worth hearing, even when they clearly aren’t.

As I mentioned in the ‘worst films’ thread, SatC2 was indeed one of the worst films I’ve ever seen but I wouldn’t bother ranking it on IMDB (and that was a pretty universal opinion anyway), but I thought the TV series was generally considered to be good (haven’t seen enough to care) - I wouldn’t go and downvote Girls either - you can see a 10% difference there between men and women, largely because 9% of male votes feel it’s worth logging on to give it 1/10.

15 Likes

Is this “butthurt report” by any chance directed at the fit-throwing man babies who feel the need to go out of their way to pick apart and stifle media that was not made for them? Or do you just hate it when women talk?

4 Likes

It probably doesn’t help Sex and the City’s chances with men that rate TV shows online that its primary topic is the difficulty endemic to human relations; I’m going to throw a wild guess that isn’t popular content among that demographic.

4 Likes

Not a conspiracy at all. If you held a poll with the question “Do you think men and women are equal”, what would the results be? I’d bet money that a greater proportion of men would tend to answer “yes” than “women” - but not because of some organized conspiracy to tilt the results of the poll. It’s indicative of pervasive attitudes.

This is clearly more than men just not enjoying the shows. The 538 analysis suggests that men are more likely to negatively rate a woman-oriented show than vice versa, and that the magnitude of men’s negative ratings is greater than women’s. So why are men going out of their way, and why are they being so negative?

10 Likes

I could see some husbands passively aggressively downvoting it because their wives “made” them watch it (I’ve heard that exact complaint BTW).

As for me, can’t stand it, at all. Never voted on anything so I’m hardly the target demo.

That said, I love Shonda Rhimes’ work with “Scandal” which some friends jokingly refer to as “my stories” since I’m the only avid consumer of it in my “regular circle of friends” (which is 50/50 women & men, tho not all are couples).

1 Like

Then you get the weird categories of shows which appear to be marketed for mostly male demographics but feature either feminist stories or strong female lead characters. It seems to be a thing with comic book based stuff:

Agent Carter, Joss Whedon stuff, Young Justice (which was cancelled because it had bigger ratings with girls than boys) , Berlanti shows…

7 Likes

I hate Farscraper and downvote it on all sites whenever possible mostly because of anti-lunar portrayal of the man in the moon in Moulin Rouge.

2 Likes

While I grew up on/around Marvel/DC, I’m the only one in my circle that doesn’t like Carter - dunno, just doesn’t “do it” (whatever it is) for me.

I tend to like strong fem leads, recently been watching 100 & I like it quite a bit. Even tho I expect I’m well outside its target demo.

Loved Young Justice & most of what Joss does - particularly the musical stuff on Buffy & Dr Horrible.

1 Like

I watched Scandal for four seasons.

After the third season, Scandal basically became “The B613 Show,” so I stopped watching after four.

Seriously, though. In one episode in Season 2, the guy who started B613 offed himself, and they send out a signal to reunite the last few remaining members of B613. About a half-dozen show up. That was B613: a few washed up old spies and assassins.

Somehow, though, it became entrenched in the show’s mythology as this massive, omniscient, omnipotent organization, and they spend Season 4 dismantling it. And, you know, fine. They need a bad guy worth fighting, and a big spy organization is apropos for that role, given the times.

But, at the end of Season 4, when it became clear that nothing that they had accomplished vs. B613 meant anything, that it would just spring back to the status quo again and again… I couldn’t keep watching.

You kill a villain, and it dies. No matter how cool the villain is, it has to die, so that the heroes can face something new. Make it a bigger version of the same evil, sure, but your big bad can’t be B613, or Sylar, every single season.

The end of Season 3, though, was awesome, I’ll admit.

2 Likes

If I don’t like something I don’t watch it. Were I to guess, I think the dynamic at work here might be guys who don’t like sex and the city, but are pressured into watching it by their SOs. if these guys feel more strongly about their dislike of these shows than their partners do when placed in a similar situation, it would explain the disparity without invoking some conspiracy of internet trollies like gamer gate.

1 Like

OK, but approximately 9% of men are being forced to watch that show? Seems unlikely.

5 Likes

Yea, I get where you’re coming from. Tho, only in the past few episodes has it really become clear what the - what’s the word/phrase I’m looking for? - ultimate purpose? (I just had surgery & everything is both painful, nauseous since I did it without sedation, so you’ll have to forgive me) - what it means to both “be command” & “take command”, and really what the (what it looks like) the actual underlying long term goal of command is. Point being, if you put as much time into Scandal as you already have, I’d give it this season to see if it can win you back.

(side note: signing off for a while, the pain is making it impossible to concentrate & has effectively rendered the intertubes “heavy machinery”)

1 Like

Maybe all reviews (everywhere) should be coupled with relevant demographic info to help you weigh the value of the review.

Hmm…according to the data 90% of the reviewers who gave this show a positive review also gave positive reviews to “Two And A Half Men”…NEXT.

13 Likes

Thank you Sir or Madam for that clarification observation. The “butt hurt” was directed toward the Male homo sapiens. Indeed…

9 Likes

Oh come on, you know how those wimmens are, always forcing their men to do things!

12 Likes