Animals have evolved into a crab-like-shape at least 5 separate times

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/10/15/animals-have-evolved-into-a-crab-like-shape-at-least-5-separate-times.html

6 Likes

crabcore

17 Likes

6 (Six)

times

5 Likes

Young Earth aficionados will love that!

After skimming the journal article, I think what’s meant is that the evolutionary process occurring on at least 5 separate occasions has been studied for at least the last century.

14 Likes

crab? or spider?

I for one, welcome our new crustacean overlords.

8 Likes

…nature just really likes the crap shape…for some inexplicable reason.

Of course it’s explicable. The crab shape is clearly very efficient. Evolution optimizes in local niches, primarily for energy efficiency. Sometimes it also optimizes for mating practices if competition in a niche is high. In other words, just like people, evolution starts out with engineering, but switches to marketing when that stops working.

At this point it’s not surprising when major body plans evolve multiple times. We know flight has evolved at lease three separate times, completely independently. Anything really advantageous is effectively inevitable.

25 Likes

Seems to be nature’s call for biomimicry.
But that would likely end up a monstrous crab shaped tank that would tear apart anything in its wake using its digger like claws. Big money in military “innovation”.

2 Likes

Obligatory xkcd is obligatory:

17 Likes

That is the most salient thing I will have read today. Maybe this week.

14 Likes

Now we have a good idea what our overlords will look like… and how they will taste with butter and lemon.

8 Likes

More food for us I say!

3 Likes

Let’s play Crabs!

5 Likes

(I did not make this image. I downloaded these images from (I think) a personal web site at CMU in December of 1998. I have lost all other information about them. If you are the creator of this or any other CRAB image stored in http://www.ee0r.com/misc/crab/, please contact me.)

3 Likes

The early ancestral form of arthropods is more wormlike with all body segments in the same plane. By folding the tail segments under the thorax extra protection is given to the animal by covering the softer underside and more protection is provided to eggs which develop attached beneath the tail segments. Its an easy enough change with clear benefits in security that many lines have done it

8 Likes

Late-stage anthropocene fun all staged, wow. Aim for legendary Japanese Monster, achieve crabbiness.

3 Likes

NEW SCI-FI TV PITCH: Star Trek except instead of encountering planet after planet populated by creatures that look like humans in various forms of face makeup it’s just new kinds of crabs.

13 Likes

The crabs do not agree that crab shape is a crap shape. They’d like to nip this usage in the bud and ask you to take a sideways look at it and pincer it out of that sentence.

9 Likes

Episode 1:

giphy (88)

11 Likes

:joy: The typo was worth it for the punstorm.

12 Likes