Watch this crab leave its buddies to chase and snuggle with a camera

Originally published at: Watch this crab leave its buddies to chase and snuggle with a camera | Boing Boing

6 Likes

RegalLongBasenji-max-1mb

15 Likes

Marsh spiders do not snuggle.

Taste great with beer though.

10 Likes

I got $5.00 US as a kid for a basket of them. Roughly 25 -30 in a basket, not bad for pinball money…

8 Likes

There was a shelling operation near where my GM once lived and her dog would wonder over for a roll in the tailings from time to time. You did not want to be near that dog after. Whew!

5 Likes

This object not consumable…

8 Likes

Best compost for the garden, the storm seaweed was good too. We had a hell’a beautiful apple tree that loved the cast offs from the summer clam/crab/oyster feedings.

6 Likes

I dunno, it sure looked to me like that camera got a victim’s eye view of a face hugger, just sayin

5 Likes

That was incredible footage. Not sure I’ve ever seen so many crabs moving like that before, then one so close up (while alive in its habitat).

When it stopped to contemplate this stranger, it was almost like seeing evolution happening right in front of me. The one, lone individual, different than the rest of the herd, doing one, simple, different thing. I could almost sense the new and unique neural pathways developing. Changing. Evolving. Chances of it leading to anything lasting, in the greater scheme of things, is near zero, but still… isn’t that the way evolution would work?

3 Likes

12 Likes

Yeah. As long as it doesn’t die and passes that on.

And then eventually its ancestors grow a tail and become the face-huggers from aliens.

It’s got the hugging part started…

Neat how it is covered in plant matter… life finds a way.

1 Like

Kane’s POV in ‘Alien’.

Its a type of decorator crab (my best guess is Hyas araneus, but several spider crab species look very similar). They intentionally put plants and animals on their shells for camouflage so that they can blend in with the rocks. When migrating like in the video its not so convincing, but when still with the right background they’re really hard to see

2 Likes

I think you are implying that this individual had a curiosity reflecting higher intelligence and so would be selected for. I think it more likely this individual is like the guy in the haunted house saying, hey there’s something weird going on in the basement. The group should stay here while I wander off alone and investigate. AAAAAAH! …Evolution in action.

Wonder how it would look with one of these big puppies?:

(From Osaka Aquarium, I think it was about 1.5m wide…)

2 Likes

Aw squee… crab hug!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.