Animated comparison of tree sizes

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/15/animated-comparison-of-tree-si.html

7 Likes

And they’ll all die if they’re in my apartment.

23 Likes

I got to camp right near one of the tallest redwoods once, what a nice experience.

Well, until the following day when we hiked back out, ran out of water, and I thought I might die. Ha!

11 Likes

How to recognize different types of trees from quite a long way away:

13 Likes

Eucalypts get short changed. Eucalyptus regnans can reach around 100 meters.

…the tallest living specimen, the Centurion in Tasmania, standing 100.5 metres (330 feet) tall.

10 Likes

Are the naked men strange fruit?

1 Like

In my experience some are fruit, some are vegetables.

5 Likes

Waiter: Would Madam like vegetables with her steak?
Madam: No thank you, I brought my own.

Old joke but it still makes me smile.

3 Likes

I’ve bonsai’ed a few of those and kept them at ~1ft. If I find out in the afterlife that trees are the true rulers of the cosmos then I’m probably going to hell for torture.

4 Likes

Currently reading The Overstory which is a wonderful novel about trees. The video was useful to see a few of the species referenced in the book that I didn’t know

3 Likes

I have never seen a 12m olive, but I guess maybe hypothetically?

Also, what’s up with the lollypop/truffula tree pruning job on the big conifers?

6 Likes

I find camping under redwoods terrifying, once you learn about widowmakers. I’ve seen widowmakers on redwoods bigger than regular trees.

8 Likes

watched the presentation for salt of the earth last night…
it was quite an eye opener… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Putting that on my reading list right now. Thank you.

1 Like

The American Chestnut is missing.
And has been for nearly 100 years.

7 Likes

So long and thanks for all the soil?

2 Likes

120204-Jackie_Treehorn

Also currently reading The Overstory and if you’d like to read a love story to trees, then that’s the book for you. It has so many passages that are just filled with wonder and joy for trees. Sometimes there’s plotting things I find frustrating but they are made up for by the magic in the tree story. I recommend it even if I don’t always like it.

2 Likes

Cool animation, but really weird random tree morphologies. Half of the trees shown look like what you get if the tree is alone in a field and can spread out (ie, the sycamore, most of which grow in clumps and don’t look like that at all) and others looking like the tree struggled to come up in a dense forest (ie, the sequoia) with barely any light or room for crown spreading.

5 Likes

Just wait until you find out how many tons of spiders each redwood can support!

2 Likes