Anime depictions of gadgets and technology

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/21/anime-depictions-of-gadgets-and-technology.html

2 Likes

Awww no CD jukebox from Akira? :cry:
Unless i missed it. Highly probable.

3 Likes

At least we still have that whole episide of Cowboy Bebop where Spike and Jet hunt down a VCR.

8 Likes

And what a payoff that was. :sob:

4 Likes

I finished the series again yesterday… :face_holding_back_tears:

4 Likes

tumblr_nlq793kvb71s0s7b6o1_400

4 Likes

Most of the time indeed, however there were some outliers: floppy disks that got sucked into the drives like a CD or VHS tape. All the drives I ever encountered on various computers, sequencers, samplers, and typewriters had a mechanical mechanism for inserting, locking and ejecting the disks.

Or the device at 0:06 that had two VU meters, but five LED bar meters and a “counter” that just displayed random numbers. Or the DAT tape that looked quite big, but maybe that was a child handling it?

Since I first watched this episode, I’ve been puzzled by Jet’s comment that “They say the greater serves the lesser” when they have to pick the right VCR player to collect from old earth. Is it just about the size? (“Let’s just grab the biggest one.”) I’ve never heard this expression and wonder if it’s a lost-in-translation thing.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.