Annual trashing of Pittsburgh by Kenny Chesney fans breaks tonnage record

Alright, I’ll admit this is the first I’ve heard of this person, and it doesn’t sound like I’d enjoy his music, so I’m asking from the view of someone who knows absolutely nothing about him: is this really common to his concerts? I mean, does this literally happen at every concert of his? (I’m picturing something like an off-brand group of Deadheads here, only ejecting tons of trash instead of ingesting tons of hash …) Or is it something special about Pittsburgh? (Also, looking at those pictures … did they bring trash from home, or something?)

6 Likes

The only time before this that I’d heard of Chesney was an offhand mention in this epic rant by Cleveland Browns fan Mike Polk. I guess the man and his fans have something of a reputation…

1 Like

You mean about 480 fans didn’t go home?

8 Likes

Such a colorful array of garbage, I was expecting mostly white trash.

16 Likes

Dammit, I was going to say that! :slight_smile:

1 Like
2 Likes

I would say that great minds think alike, but I am way too humble for that :wink:

I will generalize/stereotype/guess that most of these country music fans were white. And this reminds me of the comparisons between “street parties” (white college students) and “riots” (black city dwellers). How would the media be talking about this if it happened at a Kendrick Lamar concert?

10 Likes

So, Mr. Trump: who will clean up after these turkeys once all the Mexicans are gone? hmmm?

After at least a couple of these, surely they have enough data to calculate an equitable ticket surcharge to cover cleanup in the future.

“Fools seldom differ” is the second half of that line. :wink:

3 Likes

OR, A false flag operation from fans of the Dixie Chicks!

7 Likes

Imagine the reaction if it was “thugs” instead of just some rowdy boys blowing off steam…

2 Likes

Not nearly as many arrests this time around.

While there is CERTAINLY a double standard applied to white vs. black. there’s also a double standard applied to country fans. Just look at all the “white trash” jokes in this thread. And no, I’m not suggesting white people are just as oppressed as black people. But that still doesn’t make it okay to call people demeaning names based on no information other than the color of their skin and their (however questionable) musical taste.

I also wonder how unique this phenomenon is to Chesney fans. Phish fans, despite their reputation for environmental awareness, tend to leave behind a crapload of trash, too. And metal fans. And others.

From my experience working as local crew for various concerts country and rock fans tend to leave about the same amount of trash, but country crowds tend to leave a lot more glass bottles behind even though they’re explicitly banned from the venue.

3 Likes
10 Likes

New priorities – 25 hospitalizations was this year’s focus.

1 Like

For my part, I was making a joke based on the massive piles of garbage these fans left behind, not their musical preferences.

There are many country music songs that I enjoy, mostly the old stuff by Wille Nelson or George Jones and the like, but I am able to do so without emptying my garbage cans into the neighbor’s yard.

3 Likes

Meanwhile Anthrocon seemed to be super chill.

1 Like