Classic local auto dealer ad from Baltimore (NSFW unless you are in Baltimore)

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/05/03/classic-local-auto-dealer-ad-f.html

6 Likes

Honesty is the best policy.

6 Likes

That is one of the best satires of a local car dealer ad ever.

7 Likes

Wow, it’s like Honest Trailers reworked a political advert.

4 Likes

You can substitute Philadelphia for Baltimore and it still works!

4 Likes

Having adopted Baltimore as my hometown, way back in '89, after coming up in the genteel south - I get this. I only wish I’d seen it before now.

Must check out the link. I’m dying to know the back story.

3 Likes

Or NYC and most parts of Jersey

2 Likes

I’d argue it works even better for Philly.

I live about an hour SW of Ball-mer (the way the locals pronounce it), and spend a good bit of time there. Yes, Charm City has its share of problems (drugs, unemployment, changing business culture, drugs, rising housing costs, crime, effed-up local government, drugs) but it’s getting better gradually. In fact, it’s one of the fastest-growing tech incubator cities on the East Coast.

As the tech companies move in, the population of lewd, crude, socially unacceptable hooligans appears to be diminishing. The likelihood that one’s ass will be kicked for sport, walking at night from a bar to one’s car three blocks away, is not nearly so great as it was even five years ago. And people don’t trash talk your imagined sister on the light rail nearly as much as they once did.

All’s I am saying is give Ball-mer a chance.

4 Likes

No Baltimore accent. Very dissatisfied.

2 Likes

Careful now, that’s gentrification. And gentrification is baaaaad, m’kay? Those lewd, crude, hooligans are the profanity-artists of that city, nay, the very soul itself! The crowding out by those uncultured tech-bros and their wads of cash - driving up apartment prices and demanding crack-houses be revamped into something that’s not a roach-infested shithole - is nothing less than war on precious, precious culture.

3 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bwfq5Ly1fw

5 Likes

I usually show this to co-workers every few years - we had a multi-generation VHS dub of this back in the early 90s at a TV station worked back then…

Nice deflection. But Baltimore’s murder rate is about 3 times Philly’s. Philly’s been on quite the upswing. In the last year we had the DNC Presidential Convention, the Pope - and just now the NFL Draft. But - if you try just a little harder - you can be #1!

1 Like

Are tech-bros or crack houses really the only two options? That’s sort of like being asked to choose whether you would like to punched or kicked in the head.

7 Likes

Careful now, that’s gentrification. And gentrification is baaaaad, m’kay? Those lewd, crude, hooligans are the profanity-artists of that city, nay, the very soul itself!

Yeah, in this one case it seems like a flat even trade.
eyeroll.gif

2 Likes

What good is a chart with no explanation of what the numbers are measures of?

1 Like

Hometown represent! Go St. Louis!

2 Likes

You got that right, $@@€#£¥*#.

It gives you a relative scale. Murders per of 100,000 population.

2 Likes

Tech bro’s before crack ho’s.

1 Like