Anonymous funeral director explains the big con behind the industry, coffins, and embalming

You know I don’t know if everything is true or not. I do know that my sister had a baby that only lived a day. The funeral home donated a casket for him. Maybe they made it up elsewhere, but shes pretty tight on money so it was a big help.

I think I have a new favorite idiom.

1 Like

As a former funeral director and funeral home owner, I can assure you this is true. The casket selection room is set up in such a way that the caskets sell themselves. A group of caskets are used as an explanation group, usually a few of the high end ones. This makes the mid range units seem not as expenseive, They do not care if they sell the high end stuff, because the midrange priced units often have the highest mark up. The least expensive units are either at the back of the selection room or on a bottom shelf under a better looking unit. It is a shame that these tactics are used on people who are not in their prpoer state of mind. In reference to the Jewish funeral, they do not select a casket, they use one type and one type only, a smart way to handle the upselling that is often done in funeral homes. Do not be fooled family owned funerl homes are as bad as the corporate guys!! As far as embalming goes and being a former embalmer myself, mutilation is the word I would use. If families really knew what was being done to their loved one, they would opt for the Jewish type of preparation. Washing the body, wrapping it in a shroud and placing it in an inexpensive casket and a quick burial. For non jews the same may be done with cremation as the final disposition. You would be wise to bring a clergy person or close friend to keep an eye out for any sneaky tricks the undertaker tries to play.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.