Anti-gay protestors sue library over Drag Queen Story Hour

“But, but, but…”
*heads explode

12 Likes

Yep, Sam Elliott.

8 Likes

You get that transgender/cisgender is just another socially constructed binary like masculine/feminine, homo/hetero, right? :wink:

We all trans, and we all cis in our experiences. Some of us just veer more sharply in one direction or another (and some in the middle, and some oscillate wildly… The ones oscillating wildly are probably having the most fun :wink: ).

10 Likes

I’m trans - I got this :sunglasses:

12 Likes

No shit? Dang… we getting to be a majority or something around here. :smiley:

8 Likes

If only [Jesus’ mum] had been a drag queen. That would have been the greatest story ever told.

And hard to make a more immaculate conception!

2 Likes

When they get offended, they brand it as being “outraged.”

10 Likes

BB has more than a few members who identify as trans; I like to think it’s because we’re one of the better, more inclusive blogs.

:wink:

15 Likes

Right? Behold the wonders of our lord God, and tremble at His might.

4 Likes

…as well as some of our children.

8 Likes

WTF does being in drag have to do with homosexuality? Does clothing change your preferences?

7 Likes

So here’s the article from the Houston Chronicle:
https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Houston-library-sued-by-anti-gay-activists-over-13322045.php

This quote is really questionable:

Did the protesters ask? Do they have a man-woman storytelling group that regularly goes around telling stories to children? Drag-Queen Story Hour is a national program. Programs get special consideration over members of the public.

Any librarian will tell you it’s a double-edged sword. Hate groups are allowed to schedule conferences and meetings at libraries ~ we’re not allowed to pick and choose, and say, “We like your politics or agenda, so you get the conference room, but we HATE your politics or agenda, so take a hike.” Fortunately we mostly get civic-minded organizations, but…

8 Likes

It’s outside the heteronormative stereotype; so it ‘must be’ demonized, because it’s different.

15 Likes

In their minds, it’s one and the same. I blame their parents for raising stupid children.

13 Likes

I know a trans man who is a drag queen. That really breaks some peoples brains.

26 Likes

It’s quite nice to be included and not as a fetish. :grin:

18 Likes

People are people, yo; we all bleed red blood, we all need the same things to live, and we all only have a short amount of time to do that living in.

Too many people waste way too much time worrying about superficial differences that come from manufactured social constructs.

15 Likes

Let’s do that at say a bar, then I can sip whiskey and get my Drag Queen fix [yes I need that, Doctors orders], and a story to boot.

So say I.

8 Likes

The US is a secular nation. What are we supposed to do? Uphold some kind of “Christian narrative?”

2 Likes

Absolutely.
Hopefully you make things better for the generation behind you, too. Some of today’s kids are awesome; if we don’t fuck it up, they’ll be just fine.

9 Likes