Anti-masker hilariously digs his own hole after hearing about his own cognitive bias

I’m not sure when this video was shot, but by this point into the pandemic, there is no excuse nor mercy for an anti-masker. Take the shaming to 110%, Mr. Scott.

8 Likes

Also worth noting that the actual Dunning-Kruger study result may have just been a data artifact, but it says something ironic that we’re going to be using it as a rhetorical plank for a long time. (Would that be a paradox?)

2 Likes

As one of the world’s foremost experts on the Dunning-Kruger effect, I am deeply offended! /s

5 Likes

In other news, a CNN reporter (or at least a guy with a CNN branded microphone) said “total fucking bullshit” on camera.

4 Likes

Now, you see, what we need to do is create a platform that superficially caters to anti-maskers. Then — leveraging off of anti-maskers’ imbecilic gullibility and apparent obsession with stupid conspiracies — carefully work in numerous “actually witnessed” reports of sinister, smoke-filled room activities and secret cabalistic roundtables that hint at the most malignant conspiracy of them all: It’s the Liberals and Leftists who have been hawking goofy covid cures and the notion that masks are not needed. Why? So the Liberals and Leftists can have sole access to masks and legitimate treatments and vaccines.

Being a stupid idea, this might work.

6 Likes

. . . perhaps even enlightenment.

3 Likes

Yep, this is an interesting discussion around the political and academic use of language. Everything in this video is charged with meanings that vary depending on class and education of both the target viewer and the two participants.

The frustrated (for good reason) interviewer is essentially defining the ‘dude’ as an idiot, not through argument, but by pulling out the DK academic and hazy trope… 'I’m going to call you an idiot and I’m backed up with a ‘concept’ that proves you are an idiot.

Don’t think this exchange really illuminates anything and rather reinforces prejudices on both sides of the spectrum.

2 Likes

A friend’s dad said, “If you take a lot of cold remedies, you’ll be able to get rid of a cold in about 14 days. If you don’t do that, your cold might last two weeks.”

12 Likes

I’m surprised they thought two weeks was longer than 14 days, since 14 is a bigger number than two.

4 Likes

That Shaun guy makes good youtube videos.

3 Likes

“This is my issue with the I’m-not-afraid-of-Covid-and-you-can’t-make-me-wear-a-mask crowd. The one’s I’ve encountered make the argument that the only people who have died were people with comorbidities and who didn’t live a healthy lifestyle to begin with. They claim that all you have to do is eat right, exercise, take good care of your immune system, and you’ll have nothing to worry about.”

I think this behavior is best understood as a form of whistling in the dark. It’s clearly wrong, but it makes it more understandable to me when I consider the person engaging in it is mostly trying to convince themselves that they have control in an inherently uncontrollable situation. I think if we understand it better we may be able to also counter it more effectively.

5 Likes

My wife was always given Buckley’s. She always suspected it was more of a threat against malingering…

1 Like

I think you missed the point. What the friend’s dad said wasn’t dumb; it was both correct and ironic. The implication is that “taking a lot of cold remedies” doesn’t do anything to reduce the length of a cold.

2 Likes

…not to mention a fortnight!

2 Likes

Moran?

1 Like

A g short of a Piers.

1 Like

He’s my favourite Talking Head Skull.

1 Like

Yes - the maskhole in the video, and the above guy.

(My internets connection is kinda funky at the mo - hope this works!)

2 Likes

I find it worrying that he knows about Occam’s Razor, and yet he still gets sucked in by internet bullshit that could get him killed.

4 Likes

Maybe he read sci fi growing up, Occam’s Razor seems to show up in that genre with regularity.

5 Likes