Anti-suffragette postcards warn against giving women rights

Some people will pay a lot of money for that sort of treatment. Then again, they also pay for people to walk around looking for non-existent Japanese anime characters, so perhaps that’s not the best litmus test.

3 Likes

Interesting. Most of the images stoke men’s fears that giving the vote to women would kick them out of their top spot in the power structure. That’s an easy argument to understand. But what’s the reasoning behind cards showing women doing “manly” things which were already considered bad behavior in men, e.g. sitting drunk in the tavern while a child begs its parent to come home or smoking and BS-ing with no-good friends while ignoring the family? It seems to me that saying being like men would turn lovely young women into selfish drunkards suggests most men already are selfish drunkards. Or is the idea that all humans are brutes and only being sealed up at home prevents women from taking the same moral slide as their menfolk? Some **pro-**suffrage propaganda had similarly murky messages. Judge magazine ran cartoons comparing a beautiful young upper-crust white woman to various men–gutter bums, indigent African-Americans, dissolute Irishmen–with captions saying, “We let them vote, why not her?”

So, Edwardian GamerGate? The way things never really change…
“It’s about silencing women, actually”

6 Likes

Actually, it’s about ethics in electoral journalism.

4 Likes

56lbs seems oddly specific.

A historical reference to something?

1 Like

Half-hundredweight. Fairly common Imperial size.

112lbs (1 hundredweight or cwt) being 1/20th of a ton.
To put weights into some sort of context, a hundredweight of coal would be one of the sacks being delivered in this photo.

4 Likes

Weird your post didn’t show when I was making mine.

Could be I was editing it at the time to add some context. 1cwt being a useful human scale weight, for all it’s Imperial oddness.

1 Like

Just to add a hint of irony: When the movie “Suffragette” came out in 2015, Meryl Streep said she counted the reviews on Rotten Tomatoes, to the tune of 168 female critics vs 760 male critics.

6 Likes

Non-male voters, we need you now more than ever!

Save us from angry ignorance

The next battle is to make sure that all of those votes actually count (i.e. end gerrymandering) and that we have decent candidates to vote for.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.