Anti-Vax Arizona cardiologist also lacks social skills

Arizona…enough said.

Ah! A cardiologist who won’t prescribe anti-coagulants for rhythm abnormalities? Beta-blockers for familial hypertension? Sounds like he’s already comfortable giving advice that kills people.

8 Likes

Makes sense. Remember in the old days when all we ate was natural, organic foods and lived to be 700 years old, like in the bible?

10 Likes

That… I just… Wow. Words escape me. Ok, maybe not: what a fucking idiot.

1 Like

I’ve worked in healthcare for quite some time now, and oh boy the stories I could tell you. Let’s just say that, for some of these people, getting a medical degree is the high point of their lives and it’s all downhill (and sometimes way downhill) from there.

5 Likes
3 Likes

Actually, as a doctor, even a pretend one, it kind of is his responsibility to look to the health of strangers. I’m sure Hippocrates had something to say about that.

4 Likes
3 Likes

My father’s a PE, a civil engineer, and certification ain’t no joke. He once recommended to a government panel that someone’s license be suspended (don’t know how it works in the US, he’s certified both in the US and two other countries, and this was not in the US) after a sinkhole opened up in the middle of the road because the guy didn’t keep track of the soil mechanics. It would have killed or injured someone if it hadn’t collapsed in the wee hours when no one was on the road.

Certifications for a lot of professions where mistakes cost lives are like that. Subject to revocation when you fuck up. How a physician in the United States can keep his while recommending against all evidence that you should not vaccinate is beyond me. Although I hear it’s pretty much impossible to lose a medical license. Unless you fuck with medicare/medicaid.

8 Likes

The phrase “As far as I’m concerned” should be taken literally, and interpreted as man’s inhumanity to man.

“As far as I’m concerned” means “From my brain to my mouth” – and no further. That’s how far concerned this guy is.

3 Likes

Implying brains were somehow involved in the process…

1 Like

That’s fine if he wants to give up medicine and stop referring to himself as a doctor. But the point is that he is still presenting himself as a medical doctor. If you do not believe in science, clinical trials, evidence based practice then you should have no ability to represent yourself as a medical doctor. From his website:

I am a board-certified cardiologist who believes bad nutrition and toxins create heart health problems. - See more at: Natural Holistic Cardiologist | Wolfson Integrative Cardiology

Believing that diet and nutrition have an affect on general health is a great thing. More doctors should jump on that bandwagon instead of going down the pharmaceutical approach on things. However when a doctor makes provocative statements claiming that a child’s leukemia was caused by vaccinations, which goes against best medical practices, then they should not be practicing medicine at all.

One thing that really really frustrates me about the anti-vaccination crowd is that they won’t accept vaccination unless it is zero risk. There is no such thing as a zero risk medical procedure (there’s actually no such thing as a zero risk activity period!). Heck there’s a possibility that a child (or adult) could get a staph infection from the fact that their skin is punctured. But needles are sterilized and the site is sterilized to reduce that risk. That does not mean the risk goes to zero. So there best practices to mitigate risks, however the risks associate with a non-vaccinated population is much higher (many many many orders of magnitude) than the risks of vaccinating said population. The people with un-vaccinated children were/are riding on immunity of the vaccinated population. Now that numbers of un-vaccinated people is getting higher and higher, the population does not have a high enough immunity level to prevent the spread of disease.

Full disclosure, I’m the child of a public health nurse that and nursing educator that did her research in communicable diseases and prevention of those diseases. So I’ve had a lot of dinner and coffee conversations about this subject.

7 Likes

[quote=“aacmckay, post:13, topic:51162”]
If I woke up tomorrow and with or without my license decreed that I am (big letter) Engineer and I could build a perfectly safe skyscraper made of chocolate pudding[/quote]

I think you’d get a Food Channel show out of that, plus great Yelp ratings (while it lasts). So don’t count your lack of chickens before they’re stacked.

3 Likes

Sounds like he isn’t a cardiologist anymore then. Having previously obtained a medical degree isn’t mutually exclusive with being a medicaster.

Pretty sure the “doctor” just went to a zoo and promised a hippo he’d try his gosh, darn bestest and figured that would be close enough to the real thing.

He’s just keeping an eye on our precious bodily fluids.

4 Likes

Looks like we’ve got a surefire question for the primary debates…

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2015/02/02/rand-paul-m-d-says-most-vaccines-should-be-voluntary/

#Chris Christie Says Parents Should Have a ‘Measure of Choice’ on Vaccinating Kids

My cynical take (since popular culture is designed to make me cynical), is that this is an early attempt to leverage libertarian preferences into an anti-Obamacare plank.

Because no nannystater should be allowed to increase the odds of survival for my children without my consent.

Also, more tales from Rand Paul, Libertarian Medicine Man.

3 Likes

“PS i love guns and hate fawrners”

-all of Arizona

I suspect (especially given Christie’s rather weird “At the same time different states require different degrees of vaccination, which is why he was calling for balance in which ones government should mandate.” quasi-backpedal); that the notorious HPV vaccine is going to play into this nonsense as well.

Even among people who don’t necessarily think that vaccines are a ZOG population-control scheme, the incoherent theory that HPV vaccines were a plot to turn our youth into raging hypersluts (because, as everybody knows, only fear of cervical cancer was keeping that at bay before…) was surprisingly popular.

4 Likes

…you would have the most successful Kickstarter in history.

5 Likes