Anti-Vaxx numbers still rising, stupidity will kill our children

Way to argue from authority.

Unfortunately for you, science is true whether you believe it or not. And you happen to be wrong.

Also, that’s aggregated from Age of Autism. Their entire platform is science denial.

I recommend reading what the actual experts have to say, instead of propaganda.

24 Likes

And well these guys are a bit crass about it…

EVEN IF (WHICH IT DOESN’T) IT CAUSES AUTISM… Your kid is way way way way safer with the vaccine.

23 Likes

I suppose you go to a Doctor for legal advice.

Italian courts, at that. They have made plenty of odd rulings over the years that are well divorced from established facts.

15 Likes

Never go to a court to establish facts. They deal in controversies and percieved greivances. Either with a jury of peers (not experts) or the opinion of one person (a judge, who isn’t an expert really in anything except reading). And I suppose a small group of judges sometimes.

Notice how none of them are actual experts in the relevant field.

14 Likes

Another example of @afriendlyguy1’s comments: ‘I’ve never seen such feminist misandry’. Also posited the opinion that Buzz Aldrin shouldn’t have punched Annoying Moon Conspiracy Guy. Just for context.

10 Likes

It might be noted that while the 2014 Milan decision is being appealed, it looks like the 2012 Rimini decision they mention was as well, and was then overturned by a Bologna Court of Appeals on February 13, 2015. So some courts have been confused about what science shows, and others disagree with them. So much for “another country’s opinion”, as if they were all a single person.

As to the confidential report they talk about, I see 6 cases of autism listed in their adverse effects – plus 169 cases of loss of consciousness, 127 of apnoea, 72 of sudden infant death syndrome, and many others. The question anyone who understands clinical studies would ask is, is that something unusual or the background rate among the several million people they are reporting on? And yet your webpage just assumes them as “cases of autism resulting from the vaccine’s administration”, without any further consideration.

If you care about having honest sources, well, plainly you’ll want to find better ones.

18 Likes

Courts ruling on scientific fact? Splendid! Maybe we could just get the legislature to outlaw disease and do away with those so-called “medical experts” entirely.

15 Likes

Italian courts do not perform science. https://phys.org/news/2011-09-italian-scientists-trial-manslaughter-quake.html

9 Likes

Hi. I have the measles.

hold out your hand for a handshake

15 Likes

Didn’t Indiana try to legislate the value of pi?

It does seem like relying on courts for science is a bit like relying on the legislature for math: stupid in the extreme, based on the opinions of people who value ignorance over knowledge.

14 Likes

Right on!

2 Likes
4 Likes

Maybe it’s because I live in Indiana that I feel the need to defend the state, but in fairness, that incident didn’t go down quite the way people think it did. Some people tried to kill it by committee, but it really just came down to someone trying to make a name for themselves with a bill rather than an attempt to legislate math. Besides, it didn’t work because among other reasons, the Senate couldn’t legislate truth. From the Wiki article linked in the comment above:

As this debate concluded, Purdue University Professor C. A. Waldo arrived in Indianapolis to secure the annual appropriation for the Indiana Academy of Science. An assemblyman handed him the bill, offering to introduce him to the genius who wrote it. He declined, saying that he already met as many crazy people as he cared to.

When it reached the Indiana Senate, the bill was not treated so kindly, for Waldo had coached the senators previously. The committee to which it had been assigned reported it unfavorably, and the Senate tabled it on February. It was nearly passed, but opinion changed when one senator observed that the General Assembly lacked the power to define mathematical truth.

11 Likes

The system does seem to have worked, that time in Indiana.

4 Likes

Claims of Muslin plots are fabricated from whole cloth.

15 Likes

Except that seniors generally choose whether or not to get vaccinated, whereas infants and toddlers generally have that choice made for them.

5 Likes

My brother and his wife have gone anti-vaxx for their kids. I know he was vaccinated - I was and we’re only 18 months apart. Furthermore, that congenital heart defect of mine that I was talking about the other day? Due to my mother not being vaccinated against rubella (not her fault, they didn’t have a vaccine when she was a kid).

He’s tried to convince me that our dad was also totally against vaccinations. Funny, our 20+ years younger half-siblings with the same father were vaccinated too. I guess he’s never stopped to consider that when your first kid nearly dies because of a childhood illness, you maaaaaayyybeeee feel like they’re a good idea.

25 Likes

I just came in to remind everyone that the increase in autism spectrum diagnoses is likely from greater understanding of the condition among those who are in a position to diagnose, and that the population of people who would have one of these diagnoses if given the examination has likely remained more or less constant throughout time.

It’s an outright travesty that this has been linked to vaccination.

20 Likes

I made this comment to someone in a class who wondered why there was “so many” kids with autism now. I said, “because in the past, they were ‘simple’ or ‘insane’ or ‘feeble-minded’. And if they were high-functioning and high-status, ‘eccentric’.” We just made the label a tiny bit more specific. The thing it described was always there.

23 Likes

Like that Italian courts have held that seismologists are responsible for people injured in earthquakes they did not predict.

8 Likes