Antifa means Anti-fascist

Originally published at: Antifa means Anti-fascist | Boing Boing

12 Likes

Preaching to the choir here. Now if English speakers could just decide to properly pronounce the word…

ETA: This is how it is supposed to be pronounced: How to pronounce Antifa in German - YouTube

and here is a very interesting discussion in the comments of Language Log, starting at the linked comment:

https://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=34177#comment-1537124

If you scroll up to the language log post, the Jake Tapper pronunciation is actually the one that best preserves the original German phonology

15 Likes

Good article, thank you for posting. I support Antifa.

Many of them are our best future political leaders.

10 Likes

my favorite aunty:

Aunt Tifa, FTW!

UNfuck fascists.
no quarter for fascists or fascism.

also, thanks for the book recco. just downloaded a copy from libcom.

16 Likes

Ha - I’m familiar with the ‘who is she’ meme and all but I’m a bit more of a fan of this imagery:

8 Likes

14 Likes

48 posts were split to a new topic: Antifa Nitpicking Derail

29 Likes

I mean, to be fair, how many space Nazis did Luke force choke? None? Vader had punch cards to keep track. Every tenth force-choked-Nazi, he got a free latte in the Death Star canteen.

16 Likes

Was Mussolini German? I thought he was Italian.

German, Italian…a fascist is a fascist.

6 Likes

Unfortunately he was famously not the only fascist of his day. And this particular word was coined in German.

3 Likes

For everyone who does understand German:

2 Likes

“Why not add one more restriction—curtailing hate speech—as many European democracies do?”
I can understand the (enforced) reluctance, considering the racial hatred that has dominated the USA since its inception. I would like to think the time has come. USA needs to grow up and put a leash on the racists.

8 Likes

16 Likes

This. Free speech absolutism is detached from reality. The government (rightly) restricts speech all over the place for the public benefit. A drug company can’t market a placebo as a cure for cancer. The FDA restricts that speech for the public good. A startup company can’t claim billions in profits that don’t exist to pump up their share price at IPO. The SEC restricts that speech for the public good.

The same reasons should apply to hate speech and instigation of violence.

12 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Antifa Nitpicking Derail

A post was merged into an existing topic: Is your washroom breeding Bolsheviks?

I would like to believe that was likely to help but the people who are overtly waving swastika flags and the like make up a pretty small share of American fascism these days. The hatred and bigotry are still there but often coded in language that would be difficult to effectively regulate.

5 Likes

7 Likes