Anvil floating in tub of mercury

Originally published at: Anvil floating in tub of mercury | Boing Boing

8 Likes

This is why Dwarves have a system of quicksilver flumes for transporting ore and iron quickly between their mines, smelters and forges

25 Likes

This is really good to know! When I was a kid I broke open a bunch of Mercury thermostats and kept the stuff in a little jar. I’d play with it bare handed…it was so cool, but I’ve since worried.

12 Likes

Next up: a telescope made from a spinning tub of mercury. It’s been done before.

16 Likes

The video that auto played after the floating anvil says that liquid mercury isn’t very toxic, it’s the vapor that is dangerous.

7 Likes

I need to get this over to Wile E Coyote Super Genius.

10 Likes

I had no idea that the average person could just go and get copious amounts of mercury.

3 Likes

Don’t try this at home.

6 Likes

In gallon jugs!?

EDIT: According to the internet, quicksilver is about $1000 a flask, which is about 2.6 liters, so that is a very expensive bucket he has there. Maybe $10k worth of quicksilver! Weighing close to half a ton.

11 Likes

Conversely, when you try to float an object made of mercury in a vat of liquid iron you get the final boss battle from Terminator 2: Judgement Day.

12 Likes

Mercury sinking in Iron makes sense, but that T-800 must have had some incredibly dense alloy in its skeleton to drag down all that meat into the liquid iron.

2 Likes

Mercury is so cool. You can see why the ancients were mystified by its other worldly properties.

I got some gallium to do similar things, but not enough to float around.

He’s done quite a few mercury vids over the years, including flushing mercury down a specially rigged toilet and also attempting to stand on mercury. Cody doesn’t upload as frequently as he used to but its a treat when he does.

3 Likes

Me too, but it hasn aggect my #$7t…

10 Likes

Ummm, no - the vapour is dangerous. The least serious effects, such as loss of fine motor skills and tremors occur at very low levels of exposure:

https://cfpub.epa.gov/ncea/iris2/chemicalLanding.cfm?substance_nmbr=370

Which makes me wonder how many people were affected by these - step forward the coal-fired mercury vapour turbine:

5 Likes

Amazingly, that 15 year old who injected himself repeatedly with Mercury in an attempt to become Wolverine is apparently suffering no chronic effects.

Prior to this the kid has intentionally gotten himself bitten by spiders in an attempt to become Spider-man. No word on if they were radioactive spiders, though.

10 Likes

Maybe he really DOES have mutant healing powers!

11 Likes

IIRC, this is how the bearings for some lighthouses work

6 Likes

I would have loved to see Qin’s tomb - “The first emperors tomb is located under a deep mound of dirt. The tomb itself is about as big as a football pitch.
The tomb is said to have a a 3D map of all of china complete with rivers oceans and swampland’s filled with mercury. There was some kind of machine that would circulate the mercury, and as long as that machine was working and the rivers and oceans kept flowing the emperor would continue to rule the whole of china, in his Minnie, enclosed world.” Qin Shi Huang's tomb - Qin Shi Huang

7 Likes

It would be an extraordinary sight wouldn’t it? Skeptoid has more on this tomb - but there probably isn’t that much mercury in it:

2 Likes