Any recent issues with the ignore feature?

Does what I was trying to explain here make sense to you now?

And also, know that if that’s how you intended it to work, then that’s okay. I just wanted you to know how it was looking for me, as it seemed like a change.

Sorry for any confusion I caused and if I was unclear.

1 Like

The potential problem is that other users aren’t experiencing this behavior:

Definitely NOT intended though!

The only edge condition we’re aware of, is around the very last post in the topic being from an ignored user and thus hidden.

1 Like

It looks like @DukeTrout was/is having the same issue, so it’s not just me.

Which is not intended there? In that it should or should not be registered as read without peeking?

2 Likes

Hidden posts should not mess with unread, unless they are the last post in the topic. They haven’t in the past.

1 Like

Okay. That IS happening to me, then.

Thanks for the clarification.

2 Likes

I’ve spotted an example from my Unread list:

I’ve scrolled to the bottom of the thread, and it’s still showing as unread. It contains a post from an ignored user. ETA: the ignored user’s post is not the last post.

3 Likes

Another note: it seems that if I like a post that is a reply to the ignored user, it finally shows as read.

ETA: I meant “shows as read” not “shows as unread.” Oops.

3 Likes

That’s an interesting wrinkle…

[ETA] That’s okay, it took me 3 times to spell interesting… not quite awake yet. :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks for the update!

2 Likes

Is this working again now @Mindysan33 @DukeTrout?

3 Likes

At first glance it is working, but it is a little hard to tell. My Ignored users aren’t very active right now. It looks like the one thread where there’s been a post and it still shows unread is where the ignored user’s post is the last one, so it’s a different case.

I will check again tonight to see if that thread gets some more posts and whether it clears from showing as unread.

Thanks again for working on it!

ETA: Superficially, this:

Topics with ignored posts at the end should no longer be “stuck unread”.

still appears to be the present. I will double-check it later.

2 Likes

The current flow is:

• Jane reads all of “topic X”
  • Jane ignores Rudy
  • Jane goes to home page
  • Rudy posts on “topic X”
  • (not great) Jane sees (1 topic with updated posts)
  • (also not great) Jane clicks it and sees 1 new post on “topic X”
  • Jane visits “topic X” and sees a collapsed post at the bottom
  • Back to home page “topic X” is completely read, no little circles.

@Mindysan33 / @DukeTrout can you confirm my assessment above is correct :arrow_double_up:

We do want to improve the (not great) and (also not great) cases, but it will take a bit of time.

Also I want to confirm :arrow_double_down: never happens:

:warning: THIS SHOULD NEVER HAPPEN :warning:

• Jane is tracking topic X
  • Jane ignores Rudy
  • Rudy posts in the the topic, leading to little sections of “ignored” posts, so for example post #77 is ignored and collapsed
  • :warning: should never happen :warning: all posts after #77 can only be marked read if you “expand #77
5 Likes

Nah, just kidding. Didn’t even know the feature existed.

4 Likes

And @david_taylor I just checked the thread that earlier was still showing unread with an ignored users post at the end, and it’s working properly as you described, Sam.

I will be on the lookout for posts that have a hidden post in the middle somewhere, but I can’t find any right now. I will report back what I observe.

5 Likes

Same with what @DukeTrout said… I’ll let you know if it’s working as soon as I run across a thread with the ignored in it…

3 Likes

OK, just confirmed that the bug is fixed for me on a thread where an ignored user’s post is in the middle of the thread. Yay!

ETA: It was in the latest McMansion thread.

4 Likes

Please see this topic if you have further issue with ignore:

1 Like