AOC takes the one chip challenge

If you can cope with the heat then you get an endorphin rush. The hotter the chilli, the bigger the rush.

Carolina Reaper chillies are an oddity in that they weren’t bred to be the hottest, unlike other record holders. They were meant to be mild and full of flavour, but nature wanted to do it’s own thing.

15 Likes

I’m quite happy to respect their wish not to be touched.

16 Likes

Looks like those chips go to work pretty quickly.

I haven’t tried the one chip challenge yet, and don’t know if I ever will, but I have eaten several small bags of ghost pepper chips (not all in one sitting; I’m not as dumb as I look).

First impression: OK, there’s some heat there. Not as bad as I feared, but certainly hot.

Second impression (5 minutes after finishing all of the chips): Hmm, the burning sensation has gotten much stronger…

Third impression (for the next 45 minutes): Whoooo! My lips and tongue are on fire! Make it stop!

ETA: @joey_bladb: One of the comments was “Kills corona.” It would be funny if the covidiots picked up that idea and ran with it.

10 Likes

fire cash GIF

11 Likes

Maybe RTFA?

9 Likes

This reminds me of the time my friend bought a ghost pepper plant. He babied it and it grew a pepper and he got all excited and bought gloves and goggles to handle it. He prepared it, I forget how… I think a small batch of salsa. At the moment of truth it was a sad trombone as it had no heat what so ever. :confused: Womp womp. I guess sometimes they grow duds.

8 Likes

My personal heat tolerance tops out somewhere around ‘lower habanero.’

Reapers are only one level below freakin’ pepper spray.

O_o

Absolutely, she was.

11 Likes

God forbid anyone ever do anything fun… how wasteful… fun.

Nah… might accidentally have fun.

ineedthisforreactions GIF

John Oliver did a great take down on how corporations that produce plastics have worked to push it onto individuals to be responsible for the wasteful end products that THEY produce…

9 Likes

That’s madam dude for you.

2 Likes

I really like her! This was funny and thanks for sharing it.

5 Likes

Yeah, that’s where I draw my line. I can tolerate the taste of extremely spicy food, even “challenge level” spicy without batting an eye. But if it’s going to cause me, um, gastric distress, that’s when I don’t eat it. I won’t eat anything that will take an entire loaf of bread to settle my stomach, but I don’t stop particularly short of that.

Personally, I think these guys would top out halfway between cayenne and habanero. At best. Probably closer to jalapeño. They’re aggressively white, after all, and have the palates to match. Tasteless pasty people eating tasteless pasty food.

I have three levels of spicy: spicy, unreasonably spicy, and can’t wear contact lenses when preparing it.

6 Likes

Yeah the heat kicks in almost instantly, i’m sure they’re using highly concentrated extract to get it burn so quickly. It also sticks around for quite a while too, my mouth was on fire for about 40mins

3 Likes

Weirdly enough the one chip challenge didn’t burn afterwards, i’m not sure why. I know that when i eat the extra crazy hot chicken sandwhich from a Nashville Hot Chicken place by me it will burn the next day but the chip challenge was totally ok and i didn’t notice any level of discomfort.

4 Likes

For me it’s only the digestive process that’s affected. So if something is damn near chemical weapon spicy, if there’s only a small amount of it and it’s served on a bed of pure carbs, it probably won’t even register.

2 Likes

Climate (days of full sun and high temps) affect potency.

1 Like

Here is what one really wants to avoid doing; touching ones genitals.
I know this because I have done so on numerous occasions.

2 Likes

we won’t judge. :wink:

10 Likes

I’m touching my genitals right now!

(I’m not)

11 Likes

Or really anyone’s, unless you have prior consent for such activities. Of course this applies even if your hands are not coated in capsicum.

11 Likes

This is why I enjoy using the elbow handshake that sprung from this pandemic. I do not trust the hygiene methods employed by some of my fellow humans.

11 Likes