Apollo 16 footage interpolated from 12 to 60 frames per second

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/09/apollo-16-footage-interpolated.html

10 Likes

Yeah, it’s the moon (the frickin’ moon, FFS!) but couldn’t they have found something more interesting to enhance? It got a bit boring after the first 30 seconds and could have been on a loop.

11 Likes

I don’t know, I found it strangely entertaining:

a) I like how they know each crater by name. It just betrays how much they must have prepared for this

b) I also like how John is exasperated with Charlie repeating how steep it is. At one point it’s just “Yeah, we believe you, Charlie”.

c) they casually throw out estimations in metres, completely destroying the 'murrica talking point of the metric system never having gotten a man onto the moon

28 Likes

Listening to their accents; I half expected the Lunar Rover to have an air horn that plays the theme from Dukes of Hazard. Being on the Moon? Absolutely forking awesome!

12 Likes

I am digging the suspension of the buggy … smoooth ride!

It’s almost as if Slim Pickens is at the wheel.

7 Likes

Ah, well I was, of necessity right now, watching it muted. Maybe the soundtrack will pep it up a bit, but visually it was a non-event once the clarity of 60fps was established.

3 Likes

Yah, muted it would be quite boring indeed

5 Likes

And given that the whole point was the massive improvement in visual definition… :man_shrugging:

I’ll take another look (listen) tomorrow.

2 Likes

They’re military guys. The military has long used “clicks” and meters for distance estimation.

The engineers still reflexively used Imperial units, but the pilots would often lapse into their habitual military vocabulary. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Cue someone arguing that they just re-shot the sequence on the same soundstage as they faked the original…

4 Likes

Tom Wolfe talks about the “Chuck Yeager” accent that became the default accent for pilots of that era in The Right Stuff. Kind of like NPR voice for mid-20th C pilots.

Wow, there is a whole lot of ink spilled over this phenomenon, apparently.

10 Likes

there’s a lot of artifacts in the loop of wire to the right

Also, that they stopped the film before they got to the top of the hill will only fuel the neverlanded moon conspiracies. :new_moon_with_face:

4 Likes

Not much to do on the Moon except drive around, pick up rocks, conduct/setup experiments, and (in one case) hit a golf ball. Chorus dance lines and standup comedy are out. :wink:

6 Likes

John Carter says, enjoyI

6 Likes

I mean, this is fine, but if you’re going to go to all this trouble, how do you not finish the job by auto-tuning them?

8 Likes

When I’m testing visual processing sometimes I like to do a split screen to see the effects as a realtime before and after. Just sayin.

4 Likes

reshot sequence

Well, look, going from 12fps to 60 means 80% of the frames are just made up.

4 Likes

just stunning. and i keep thinking, “…and we NEVER went back again…” wtf, it’s insane.

9 Likes

And almost 50 years have gone by. Insane

9 Likes

Randy Claggett didn’t pop out of nowhere.

3 Likes