Apollo 16 footage interpolated from 12 to 60 frames per second

Not a Wawa in sight.

2 Likes

Add all the frames you want. It’s still fake!

Just look at the shadows.

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

I remember on Farscape the hero had a kind of nonspecific Southern accent, since that’s what astronauts in Texas and Florida actually tend to sound like, and then when the alien-artifact-of-the-week created a “more evolved clone” version of him, instead of the usual cliche Received Pronunciation they gave the superior clone a thicker Texas accent.

5 Likes

Reminds of Hueco Mundo world of hollows from the anime Bleach.

How surreal it must have been to watch solid black horizon as you move across and then you can look back at the Earth but everything is just solid silent blackness between

4 Likes

The shadows are dark because the moon is dark. It’s a dark gray object. It’s almost black. It just looks bright in the sky because it’s in direct sunlight and there’s nothing else up there to compare it to.

5 Likes

“Why did we fake it nine times, if we faked it?” Charlie Duke

6 Likes

I very briefly met James Lovell at a huge event at the Waukegan Public Library in the fall of last year. In the back of my mind, I couldn’t help but think how although he’d never made it to the surface of the moon, he came closer than any human currently alive, excepting four, and most of those were almost 50 years ago. I’m glad to have actual met him, but that was still a little depressing to me.

At least I got to sit at Ray Bradbury’s typewriter. (Having a nesting partner that’s one of the managers at the library is a good thing!)

5 Likes

That N. Carolina drawl is unmistakeably Charlie Duke.

According to this interview with James May, they were working with 15m contours. You can hide a pretty steep drop in 15 metres:

4 Likes

Charly Duke, eh? So you weren’t far off, @euansmith. Might be a Duke of Hazard.

5 Likes

Well, watching someone

would have been more visually stimulating, for sure. :wink:

ETA Yeah - the Mars video was well cool! Thanks.

2 Likes

Yeah, but if we have $500 billion lying around and have to spend it on a moonshot, do you want to have a few Space Force soldiers playing fort on the moon… or do you want multiple, fully-equipped, (unmanned) orbiters/landers on every planet (and satellite) in solar system… with $400 billion left over.

1 Like

Me too! I actually LOVED this choice of footage. You get to see lots of lunar features, hear them talk about it, and as they pan they camera you get bright orange and gold colors to mix in with the grays of lunar regolith. This is by far the best thing I see coming out of AI work in the last few years, the ability to improve old film footage and extrapolate missing frames to make it feel much more real to our modern eyes.

3 Likes

Just in case you’ve never seen it, the episode of ‘From the Earth to the Moon’ about Apollo 15 is all about the preparation the astronauts did for their geology fieldwork on the Moon. It is a brilliant episode about how a good teacher can change peoples’ perceptions of a topic; and speaking as a geologist, it did a brilliant job of showing how geologists ‘read’ the landscape to explain its history.

A wonderful series and well overdue for a HD release on streaming or BluRay.

9 Likes

I hadn’t seen it, actually. Thanks for the tip!

2 Likes

Charlie Duke, from Charlotte, NC, was so excited to be on the moon. He left a family photo on the moon’s surface.

3 Likes
2 Likes

well, when you put it that way, yes, that makes the most sense. but still: booooooooo : (

1 Like

Yah. I skipped to the middle and then the end to see if it changed. Very cool, and yet also super boring after you get the idea.

1 Like

Funny to see all the comments about how boring this is. I’m just finishing rereading The Right Stuff (Tom Wolf’s 1979 description of test pilot and astronaut culture, which covers the space program through the last Mercury flight), and my first space memories start with the Gemini flights.

Are the bored people here much younger than me? I’m 62, and I love this.

4 Likes

The hoax of interpolation?

/gasp

1 Like