App to record sexual consent in the blockchain will be used to discredit sexual assault survivors

My SO and I came to the same conclusion about the app. You’d have to video and audio record all sexual contact to prove that the terms of the agreement were followed or that contact was ceased when consent was withdrawn, otherwise it’s still just word-against-word except with supposed evidence of initial consent. I’m sure we’re all up for having our sexual encounters recorded for legal purposes!

3 Likes

If you’re this worried that the person you want to have sex with might accuse you of raping them then you might want to rethink your approach to sex and relationships in general.

17 Likes

If you’re looking to cheer yourself up after this, here’s a bit of better app-related news (though now several months old): https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/12/15958632/gudak-camera-kodak-retro-photo-app

Most recent study estimates 5% of rape accusations are false. (Earlier studies have come up with numbers in a narrow range around 5%.)

Setting aside the fact that much if not the majority of rape is unreported (and you can’t have a false, unreported accusation of rape because that’s a non-sequitur): real rape is 20 times as likely as false accusation.

Maybe you’re solving the wrong fucking problem, bros.

9 Likes

12 Likes

This app uses blockchain?!?!! Do they have an IPO?

throwing-money

(Now that I got that out of my system … Yeah, it really is a horrific idea)

7 Likes

Why do you hate The Future? Eh? Eh?

1 Like

I feel really old-fashioned, like maybe I should be driving a buggy to work. But for me and the women I’ve been with, getting to sex was a slow and consensual process. There was no uncertainty by the time we arrived at that point. First-time encounters were generally sober. Is it really the common thing now that people treat each other like masturbation aids and not, you know, fucking people?

NB: I’m not saying it’s wrong to bang away on short acquaintance, but what’s the hurry? Oh crap. That was my grampa’s favorite saying, “what’s your hurry?” Time to go buggy shoppin!

2 Likes
3 Likes

The other party is the one making and serving the tea.

1 Like

Interest rates have been low for a real long time. Bubbles offer a return on investment to those on the leading edge, but these bubbles don’t inflate themselves!

3 Likes

YES YES YES I get to use the GIF!

14 Likes

7 Likes

So juries are bad now? What are we supporting instead? It was the invention of the jury system that allowed us to abolish the old system of turturing people into confessing. The protection of so many human rights hinges on the jury system. Do we really want to undermine it’s legitimacy? The same adult people who we are saying should have sexual freedom and be believed if they say they were raped suddenly, as soon as they are put on a jury, become incapable telling rape from non-rape? I don’t get where this hostility to juries is coming from.

13 Likes

Also, WTF? I’ve got several Google accounts, one set to the US, one to the UK, one set to an European country. Never had any problems adding accounts to Google Play family, regardless of their settings. (But FFS, I get local content anyway, and need to use vpn to get US content from Europe. :confused: And my newsfeed is set to the UK, fixed, apparently.)

You don’t want to do down that road anyway, so why even ask? The Code Napoleon idea was so foreign, you know…

Probably they never got any. That is what happens when you are still a virgin at 50.

1 Like

A precursor to this system is already in operation in Night Vale.

There is something intensely flirty and erotic about the process of filling out forms in triplicate, providing a medical history, and entering one’s individual Sex PIN to verify one’s identity and interest in the forthcoming activity.

Here’s a simple algorithm to decide if a proposed new technology is stupid or not:

def is_stupid(exciting_new_technology):
    if 'blockchain' in exciting_new_technology:
        return True
2 Likes